PDA

View Full Version : can anybody tell me about these e30 seats?

timandbim
02-12-2008, 05:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-E30-318i-325i-Front-beige-cloth-Seats-2-door-pair_W0QQitemZ160206430822QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33701 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I called but they couldn't tell me what car they were from and said the car's probably crushed. I'm actually possibly maybe thinking about trying to match fabric... nutty project but these would make it pretty easy (although shipping is another matter). I thought someone might be able to tell the year from the pattern or something.

while you're e-baying, someone who already has a leather tan interior with pink trim might want to pick up these awesome headrests (http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-E34-E32-Beige-headrests-525i-530i-540i-740iL-BUFFY_W0QQitemZ180209293142QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3370 1QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247Q QcmdZViewItem).
whatever you think about that, just imagine what buffy's new bimmer looks like...

GJPinAU
02-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I don't really understand your question.
Are you intending to put these into your E34?

The drivers seat looks a little worn/sunken on the base.

If you are really worried about matching the seats to your original interior, you could take them to an upholsterer/motor trimmer or there are eBay alternatives.

bad_manners_god
02-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Don't bother Tim, it would cost less to have yours re-upholstered here than pay shipping for those heavy items and then modify them to fit if they arent the right ones or have the cloth taken out, etc, etc.

Just go to a fabric shop with a picture of them and explain to them what you want and the dimensions and then take that material to someone that can do it or try a hand at it.

OR:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-E34-525-530-540-89-95-S-LEATHER-SEAT-COVER-COVERS_W0QQitemZ120220425448QQihZ002QQcategoryZ337 02QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm considering getting these after getting my driver seat repaired. Side bloster is unravelling slowly slowly.

timandbim
02-12-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't really understand your question.
Are you intending to put these into your E34?

The drivers seat looks a little worn/sunken on the base.

If you are really worried about matching the seats to your original interior, you could take them to an upholsterer/motor trimmer or there are eBay alternatives.

What I do kind of depends on how nice they really are. My own seats are all in really nice shape except for one really bad section on the rear seat and not-so-bad gouges where the armrests were ripped out.

If these have the 0273/0283 natural upholstery i think i need (i have to check again) that was in the '89-'91 i think 325i I could either
-switch the front seats if they are good and have heat and use the fabric from one of my front seats on the rear seat.
-use the fabric from one of those seats to repair the damage on mine.

I 'm thinking of making an offer for maybe just the fabric off maybe one of the seats... I dunno if they'll do that, seem like nice guys but that's a pitb... I've tried to find a match at upholstery shops in town and online but they can't find exact matches and the close-but-not-quites are pretty out-of-my-range for a job I can do myself with a needle and thread. The dealer said [shrug]. There's nothing in the scrapyards that I know here. I don't know how often stuff like this shows up.

Maybe I should approach this some other way. This way I'll need matching fabric for some kind of an improvised centre console armrest/beer cooler... or it's not worth doing.

I'm considering getting these after getting my driver seat repaired. Side bloster is unravelling slowly slowly.I already had front covers but they are really horrible and I just ordered these on the weekend ->
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-5-Series-1989-1996-LEATHER-Car-Seat-Cover-Covers_W0QQitemZ220201085555QQihZ012QQcategoryZ337 02QQcmdZViewItem

Can't argue with the price and the feedback is pretty good - if they're really bad I'll just put fun fur on them for winter. No ski-bag/rest opening, hmmm- I'll let you know how they turn out.

JohnC
02-12-2008, 09:37 PM
E30 seats are not close to being as nice. And I think they are smaller. Just get yours reskinned.

bad_manners_god
02-12-2008, 09:48 PM
I already had front covers but they are really horrible and I just ordered these on the weekend ->
http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-5-Series-1989-1996-LEATHER-Car-Seat-Cover-Covers_W0QQitemZ220201085555QQihZ012QQcategoryZ337 02QQcmdZViewItem

Can't argue with the price and the feedback is pretty good - if they're really bad I'll just put fun fur on them for winter. No ski-bag/rest opening, hmmm- I'll let you know how they turn out.

Those are some sexy covers, what kind of shipping did you use? I hope they get here ASAP so i can see them installed so I can order me a set, the look really clean too, debating on silver or gray with the black. Which colors did you get?

Found these too:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-5-Series-1989-90-91-92-93-94-1996-Seat-Cover-Covers_W0QQitemZ120221811997QQihZ002QQcategoryZ337 02QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

timandbim
02-13-2008, 03:49 PM
E30 seats are not close to being as nice. And I think they are smaller. Just get yours reskinned. That's good to know - I can see from other posts they would be easy to adapt, but overall it's a giant pitb too, even getting them to tear the fabric off would be a giant pain, and I can't tell for sure if it matches anyway... thought i might figure something out but there's better solutions coming i hope... i don't mind dishing out for proper parts or necessary work but i'm not going to blow hundreds of dollars on pro upholstery on a super easy job (that doesn't even fully match) on a 1989 car, no matter how much i like it...

Those are some sexy covers, what kind of shipping did you use? I hope they get here ASAP so i can see them installed so I can order me a set, the look really clean too, debating on silver or gray with the black. Which colors did you get?

Found these too:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-5-Series-1989-90-91-92-93-94-1996-Seat-Cover-Covers_W0QQitemZ120221811997QQihZ002QQcategoryZ337 02QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it is usps - no giant ups broker fee! was thinking about getting the pinks and buying those headrests to match but in the end i got solid black (my car is black, not bright green, ewwwww). i will let you know when they are in...

bad_manners_god
02-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Any news on the seats?

winfred
02-15-2008, 08:34 PM
something doesn't look right about them if they are relisted id avoid them, it looks like they have old 5 series back rests or something, they may even be something like e28 manual or euro seats, they don't look like e30 seats with those big head rests and wide back rests

timandbim
02-16-2008, 09:50 AM
something doesn't look right about them if they are relisted id avoid them, it looks like they have old 5 series back rests or something, they may even be something like e28 manual or euro seats, they don't look like e30 seats with those big head rests and wide back rests

thanks winfred - i'm actually thinking of offering a small amount just for the back panels. i was pretty sure the fabric on the back and outside of the seats is the 0283 NATUR.- it looks right and on realoem it seems to have been used on NA e30s and e34s for a few years, although if those aren't e30 seats then that's kinda moot. i was thinking those back panels might even fit with some improvisation, or if it's a match i could use the fabric from one to fix everything except one 'center' strip on the rear seat bottom, but i don't think i'll bother in the end.

i pulled the upholstery code from under the rear seat (was happy it was still there) and i think my seat fabric code is POLS.: 0283/S/0550 - 0283 is what i thought but i couldn't find a 0550 code on realoem anywhere - not sure about some of the other codes on the sheet...
SKI - ski bag (check), CAN - canadian model (check) SHV, MLV, KSH ??? and SA: 0464 0472 0494 0498 ...etc. those are the option codes right? i've seen a list of those somewhere but i'm not having any success searching

there's really no urgency on fixing the seats, seat covers will do fine for a time. i just like the cooler in summer, warmer in winter idea and having the original fabric in top shape to match a rust-free body on a 20 year old 'winter-beater' would be pretty rich i think. i've done a ton of searching for 'stoff' already, (even learned some german) and i think i'll just have to hope to luck out one day - those seats aren't it i don't think but they're darn close.

manners i will for sure let you know when those covers are in - they are still in the us according to usps. they were pretty cheap so i'm not expecting much but i will post a review for other cheapo-noobs like me. i will be happy to show them to you, maybe we can do a mini tour de l'isle - i think ile ste-helene is all 30km/h limits - totally my style ;)
maybe some of the other 'habitants' are up for a mini-meet too...

timandbim
02-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Any news on the seats?

this is for bmg but maybe some of you want to see-

i'm not putting them on until next week but my rear seat bottom is off anyway and time is short (18 days, right dude?) so i threw this piece on as a sneak preview. for what i paid i'm really happy with them, the material is pretty awesome. not genuine leather, but... kind of... much better than the shitty vinyl ones you can get. the fit is pretty good on the rear seat bottom at least - one little elastic tie-thing is missing. the ad is deceptive a bit. it says you get 2 covers for the back seat but one is for the top part and the other is for the bottom. there is no hole for the rear armrest but that could be modified pretty easily i think. the front seat covers come in one piece and have little velcro holes for the arm and headrests. the steering wheel cover is a pos but the arm and head rest covers are ok. i will post again when they're on but if you're in a hurry for cheap covers these look good so far.

bad_manners_god
02-22-2008, 07:03 PM

i'm not putting them on until next week but my rear seat bottom is off anyway and time is short (18 days, right dude?) so i threw this piece on as a sneak preview. for what i paid i'm really happy with them, the material is pretty awesome. not genuine leather, but... kind of... much better than the shitty vinyl ones you can get. the fit is pretty good on the rear seat bottom at least - one little elastic tie-thing is missing. the ad is deceptive a bit. it says you get 2 covers for the back seat but one is for the top part and the other is for the bottom. there is no hole for the rear armrest but that could be modified pretty easily i think. the front seat covers come in one piece and have little velcro holes for the arm and headrests. the steering wheel cover is a pos but the arm and head rest covers are ok. i will post again when they're on but if you're in a hurry for cheap covers these look good so far.

Hmm, I guess it's a good thing my seats are black, I think i'm going to wait till you have them installed and in the car before I get them, they look pretty nice though.

billy
02-22-2008, 10:11 PM
They're disgusting, get youself down to the breakers yard and get a propper set of leather seats for an E34 then off to the opticians for some new glasses, you drive a bmw not a toyota...ditch the seat covers!

bad_manners_god
02-23-2008, 12:57 AM
They're disgusting, get youself down to the breakers yard and get a propper set of leather seats for an E34 then off to the opticians for some new glasses, you drive a bmw not a toyota...ditch the seat covers!

For some, this is an inexpensive solution for torn/worn out seats, not everyone can afford leather seats. As is, BMW parts ARENT cheap, nevermind asking for factory leather.

timandbim
02-23-2008, 09:04 AM
They're disgusting, get youself down to the breakers yard and get a propper set of leather seats for an E34 then off to the opticians for some new glasses, you drive a bmw not a toyota...ditch the seat covers!actually i'd rather keep the fabric seats (they're totally repairable - you can see they're nice), but thankyou for the suggestion. this is a temporary solution until i can fix the fabric on the seats that are in there, and to keep handy for dirty jobs and winter. last week i moved a friend's drum kit and had to lay blankets down - this is way better. i just posted it for people to have a look in case they needed a similar cheap solution. this car is mainly my winter vehicle (yes i know i must be nuts) and winters here are really nasty and dirty - car interiors get trashed easily, especially when your friends are musicians. i think these are great cheap protection and look great for what they are (well yeah no kidding they look like seat covers). this is premature though, i haven't tried them properly yet.