PDA

View Full Version : windshield ice up while driving

infurno
02-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Unbelievable. I can't get to work because every 30 seconds on the road a layer of ice forms on the windshield and visibility is reduced to nothing.

I pull over, scrape it off and go again. Another layer forms, and I pull over, scrape it off and go again. This happened 3 or so times before I decided to just turn around and go home.

Everyone else on the road appears to be fine. What the $#!@ is wrong with my car? I have the defrost on but it only makes it worse.

Im betting this is because of my busted heater core... From what I gather some of you here don't have a working one either...

So whats the secret? How do you keep ice from forming while driving...? Recommend any products? At least until I have a chance to replace the core...

infurno
02-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Yeah, this is really going to be a problem. It will be a few days until the heater core gets here... Just looking for a temporary solution.

Im going to try Rain-X de-ice windshield washer fluid. Is that safe to use in our cars?

Tiger
02-11-2008, 11:26 AM
Washing windshield helps with deicing but with no defrost heater... I would not dare to use it. I don't know if you can find any 12V heater to use inside the car... But you really need the heater core.

infurno
02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
It forms on the outside, and only while moving above 35 mph.
Ice starts to form even with blades constantly on set on the 3rd setting.

Eventually I have to pull over and if its not bad the blades clear it up after about 20 seconds.

I found some heated wiper blades online, may be a nice upgrade to do for the future too.

I was hoping maybe there was some kind of wax product I could apply to the windshield that would resist ice. Have been searching but can't find anything. Im going to try rain-x, I read good things about it.

Ross
02-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Of course this is from the heater core. You are spraying water vapor onto a cold piece of glass. What do you expect?
Turn off the defroster and roll down a window..OR fix the heater core.

Ross
02-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Are you icing up on the inside or outside?

Tiger
02-11-2008, 06:03 PM
You can buy deicer windshield washer fluid to help you in this situation.

Ross
02-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Well then my original reply is worthless. Your mention of the heater core had me thinking the frost on inside.
Is the heater core blocked or leaking? Is air coming from the defrost vents? Obviusly not hot air anyway. You might have heater valves stuck or servo motors for the air flaps inoperative.
I'm assuming the engine is getting up to temp.
A smudge pot on the dash for now I suppose.

bad_manners_god
02-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Temporary Solution: Keep a Hair dryer in the car with you and cigarette lighter adapter for the Power outlet

Dave M
02-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Temporary Solution: Keep a Hair dryer in the car with you and cigarette lighter adapter for the Power outlet

Ya know, thats not a bad idea. Cheap power inverter for the cig. lighter (which comes in very handy for lots of other things), tape the drier to the dash and off you go.

Dave M

Tiger
02-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Not really... most hair dryer draws tons of power that most cheap inverter will not be able to match the power and thus blow your fuse.

Watt = Amp X Volt

1500 (high hair dryer) = Amp X 12V

125 = Amp and most cigarette lighter is only 15A.

Dave M
02-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Not really... most hair dryer draws tons of power that most cheap inverter will not be able to match the power and thus blow your fuse.

Watt = Amp X Volt

1500 (high hair dryer) = Amp X 12V

125 = Amp and most cigarette lighter is only 15A.

Cool, thanks for remedial electrical engineering lesson, it may come in handy one day as I'm electrically challenged :D. I believe I have an old 400 (Watt??) inverter that can (just) run a dremel. I've used it on the road to cut wheel bolts, exhaust clamps etc. off when stuck in a 'spot of bother'. I know its pushing the limits of the inverter as it does cut out and need to reset occasionally. However, it never blows the fuse.

Dave M

repenttokyo
02-12-2008, 02:59 PM
there is no special fluid or heated windshield wiper that is going to help you in this situation. changing the heater core is your only solution.

Robin-535im
02-12-2008, 05:22 PM
How about some candles? Maybe 6-8 of those tea light candles spaced across the dash by the windshield.

Or an oxy-acetylene torch duct-taped to the dash, pointing at the windshield... or one of those weed-burners you stick on a propane tank.

Or you can jam a stick on the gas pedal to keep you moving, stand on the seat and steer with one foot while you stick your head out the sunroof... using the torch on the outside of the glass... so many good options! :)

Robert K
02-12-2008, 06:22 PM
The only way you're going to be able to have a chance to keep the spray on the windshield from freezing is to keep the windshield as warm as possible by opening the defroster vents at the front of the dashboard. As long as you can keep the windshield a few degrees above freezing, it should give your wipers a chance to clear the screen for you. If you can't get the windshield temp a few degrees above freezing, then it's going to freeze over constantly.

I noticed you said you had a new heater core on order. Do you know the old one is bad? Typically, when you turn the heat on, you will get a sweet smell in the cabin. If you open your dash vents at the base of the windshield, then you'll start fogging up the inside of the windshield. If neither of these is happening, then the problem appears to be with your heater control valve. This is a valve that is above the brake fluid reservoir on the E34. If that valve isn't working properly, then it's not going to let any hot coolant flow through your heater core, thereby not allowing you to obtain any heat through the HVAC system.

Hope this info helps.

Robert K
1991 535i (for sale- $4,000)

Dave M
02-12-2008, 07:24 PM
How about some candles? Maybe 6-8 of those tea light candles spaced across the dash by the windshield.

Or an oxy-acetylene torch duct-taped to the dash, pointing at the windshield... or one of those weed-burners you stick on a propane tank.

Or you can jam a stick on the gas pedal to keep you moving, stand on the seat and steer with one foot while you stick your head out the sunroof... using the torch on the outside of the glass... so many good options! :)

Funny, but true. I passed a vehicle on fire in a driveway a few years back. Turns out, the owner had no heat so waas using small tea candles to clear the windshield prior to driving.

Ooops