PDA

View Full Version : Strut bearing problem with Bilstein P36-3022 assembly, 525it 1995

werminghausen
02-10-2008, 07:47 PM
I attach a picture so you can see the problem with cracked rubber at the strut bearing. I can stick a screwdriver through, so one half is broken. Martin

gmannino
02-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Try searching www.realoem.com for the autocad expanded view of the strut assembly.

Tiger
02-11-2008, 11:23 AM
I am wondering if you reuse the large washer that has a conical seat for the struts... this is critical piece that needs to be installed.

Dave M
02-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Interesting.

Not sure if there's a question involved, but I've never seen this on any of the cars I've owned. If its relatively new, which it looks to be, I'd be asking for a new one (defect warranty). However, judging by the installation, I'd say it was a DIY, which may make it more difficult.

Time to invest in a really good set of metric allen wrenches?

Dave M

werminghausen
02-12-2008, 07:00 PM
I am wondering if you reuse the large washer that has a conical seat for the struts... this is critical piece that needs to be installed.

I actually did not have this conical washer. As the new assembly was 16mm dia. the old washer (14mm dia hole) didn't fit any more and there was no new washer in the Bilstein box anywhere.
I understand today that this washer is taking the forces and transfers these into the rubber while without the washer the force goes straight into the center part of the rubber bearing and cracks it because of the high forces. this is the reason why the movement is so large and the cap kept popping off.
Bad thing is I asked the company selling me the parts for 3 months or more and they keep asking I don't need the large washer.
But after I can stick a screwdriver through the crack in the rubber everyone agrees it is getting time to take the assembly apart again and but large washer and new bearings in. Thanks for your input.

Martin

werminghausen
02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Interesting.

Not sure if there's a question involved, but I've never seen this on any of the cars I've owned. If its relatively new, which it looks to be, I'd be asking for a new one (defect warranty). However, judging by the installation, I'd say it was a DIY, which may make it more difficult.

Time to invest in a really good set of metric allen wrenches?

Dave M

Sorry for the bad head. I cut the bolt back because the cap kept popping off .. bad idea. because people said the assembly is correct. So I cut back the bolt and yes.... I screwed it up in the end. I am screwed waiting for new parts. Martin

632 Regal
02-12-2008, 09:09 PM
I been through the Bilstein ordeal, maybe the strut locked up on you. Love the sachs/boge turbos. You can upgrade the bearing to the newer style too.