PDA

View Full Version : Hawk HPS Pads....

Sam-Son
02-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Recently got some Hawk Hps pads because my brakes were shot. Replced the rotors as well. I had heard some good things about the Hps pads. Now my brakes were god awful and now wit the new pads they feel the same. WTF?! they dont stop very well at all what the hell is wrong is it just cause theyre cold and I need to get heat into them even when I pound on the brakes they still dont stop very well.
Help me out guys what the hell is goin on?
Thanks in advance

Sam-Son
02-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Come on people I need some help is it just that these pads suck or what?

repenttokyo
02-11-2008, 08:30 PM
i was about to say, did you break them in properly? i have those pads on my car and they work well. Not as well as HP+, but they still work well.

Sam-Son
02-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Will do thanks

Guapo
02-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Have you bedded them in properly according to instructions?

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php#

Robin-535im
02-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Will do thanks
Yeah - bed 'em and bleed 'em - two big things that can make brakes feel spongy if not done right. Bleeding can be a real PITA and can take buckets of brake fluid to do all the way.

spyrot1
02-12-2008, 06:56 AM
I have HPS pads (going on 20k miles with half the life left), and I had my brakes bled. I also put on Brembo slotted and drilled rotors at the same time, and my brakes are fantastic... The only initial problem was some squeal that eventually went away.

I haven't touched my breaks since... and they work perfectly. Hawk are some of the best pads around... put them on all my cars.

DrewZ
02-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Come on people I need some help is it just that these pads suck or what?

Definitely or what. My HPS pads are quiet, clean, grippy and last a long time.

632 Regal
02-12-2008, 10:07 PM
I scewed up my rotors (and thrust bushes) bedding mine in, ended up with raybestos QS which require NO break in and I like them a lot. Work better when hot than cold but never are bad.

Sam-Son
02-13-2008, 04:00 PM
did some beddin in and theyre gettin a bit better will they continue to get better with use?

repenttokyo
02-13-2008, 04:45 PM
if you don;t bed them in properly at first, you are always going to have some squeal and they probably won't stop as well as if the procedure had been followed.

Sam-Son
02-13-2008, 06:37 PM
if you don;t bed them in properly at first, you are always going to have some squeal and they probably won't stop as well as if the procedure had been followed.
thing is Ive already been driving around with them for at least 300 miles so is it too late?

repenttokyo
02-13-2008, 06:46 PM
yes.

Sam-Son
02-13-2008, 08:00 PM
yes.
****:(

Brandon J
02-13-2008, 09:32 PM
300 miles sometimes is not enough breaking-in. Did you clean the rotors or touch it with your bare hands? Did you bed correctly, allowing the pad and rotor to warm up a little before stomping on it? Did you open the brake reservoir cap or leave it closed as you pushed the brake piston in?

Well, I talked about pads a lot in other posts and giving comparisons from my personal experience on my cars and my personal experience after installs on other e34s. Hawks were lower on my list for the reason you have described.

Drive it around for another few days and then review it. Let us know your findings so you can share your experience. I hope it turns out okay and it is just the cause from pushing the brake piston back and not the Hawk pads.

attack eagle
02-13-2008, 10:01 PM
turn the rotors and you can do it again.

repenttokyo
02-14-2008, 06:52 AM
\

Well, I talked about pads a lot in other posts and giving comparisons from my personal experience on my cars and my personal experience after installs on other e34s. Hawks were lower on my list for the reason you have described.

there is nothing wrong with Hawk pads, the issue is that he didn't follow the bedding procedure at all.

Brandon J
02-14-2008, 07:34 PM
there is nothing wrong with Hawk pads, the issue is that he didn't follow the bedding procedure at all.
Some pads are more diifucult to bed or break-in than others. What he is describing is exactly the same as 4 sets of Hawk pads that I have installed or driven after someone else installed. Again, he may not be past the break-in part of the pad regardless of bedding in. Lets hoe that the breking-in part is the actual reason.

repenttokyo
02-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Some pads are more diifucult to bed or break-in than others. What he is describing is exactly the same as 4 sets of Hawk pads that I have installed or driven after someone else installed. Again, he may not be past the break-in part of the pad regardless of bedding in. Lets hoe that the breking-in part is the actual reason.

I'm sorry to hear that, I've broken in all of my hawk pads, both hps and hp+ in about ten minutes. No problems at all.

The bedding is definitely the problem in the case of the original poster, turning the rotors may help as was previously suggested.

Brandon J
02-14-2008, 07:58 PM

Holy cow I could not spell correctly. I had surgery on my hand and my typing has gone down the the tubes. Sorry for the spelling errors.

repenttokyo
02-14-2008, 08:36 PM
don't worry, sometimes certain keys disappear from all of our keyboards ;)