PDA

View Full Version : Subframe bush question

whiskychaser
02-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Replaced the bushes today. Used the 'cut them out with a jigsaw, push them in with a block of wood' method. Took about five hours start to finish including coffee and cigarette breaks. Just one query. These bits werent attached to anything. Is that an alternative design?:)

BigKriss
02-10-2008, 08:22 PM
i don't know if this is true question or not. you cut around the inside of the bush and got the photo you show above. did you use any lube to put them in?

E34-520iSE
02-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Are they the centre sleeves from your old bushes? If they are then don't worry about it, you've fitted new ones and everything should be ok and knock free.

HTH,

Shaun M

BigKriss
02-12-2008, 06:41 AM
How long did it take to cut one bush out. I tried today and after 30mins I didn't make much of an impact and gave up.

whiskychaser
02-12-2008, 02:29 PM
How long did it take to cut one bush out. I tried today and after 30mins I didn't make much of an impact and gave up.
First, let me say my original post was a joke. Clearly a lame one. The centres of the old bushes (pic) were detached from the outside: the bushes were totally shot. It took about an hour a side to cut them out as I was being careful. I made 2 cuts avoiding the 'nobbles' in the subframe bore. If you imagine the bush is a top hat, remember you have to cut the 'brim' too or you will never get them out. There is nothing much to pull on so I drove an old screwdriver and then a chisel between the bush outer and the subframe and ended up with 2 x 'C' shaped sections I could pull out easily with mole grips. There was a little rust at the top and bottom of the bore and I got rid of that with a fan grinder. They went in 'quite' easily with Fairy Liquid, a block of wood and a trolley jack. But put the bushes in the freezer for a day first. Most important- put another block of wood above the subframe or you will squash your brake/fuel lines.

e34.535i.sport
02-13-2008, 04:56 AM
First, let me say my original post was a joke. Clearly a lame one. The centres of the old bushes (pic) were detached from the outside: the bushes were totally shot. It took about an hour a side to cut them out as I was being careful. I made 2 cuts avoiding the 'nobbles' in the subframe bore. If you imagine the bush is a top hat, remember you have to cut the 'brim' too or you will never get them out. There is nothing much to pull on so I drove an old screwdriver and then a chisel between the bush outer and the subframe and ended up with 2 x 'C' shaped sections I could pull out easily with mole grips. There was a little rust at the top and bottom of the bore and I got rid of that with a fan grinder. They went in 'quite' easily with Fairy Liquid, a block of wood and a trolley jack. But put the bushes in the freezer for a day first. Most important- put another block of wood above the subframe or you will squash your brake/fuel lines.

LOL! I got it Whiskey don't worry... You're not alone! :D

Brandon J
02-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Hmm, the bushing is fine, just a problem with the person removing it ;)
A group of us got together and we averaged ~1-1.5 hours per e34 for the subframe bushings. It is much easier with the correct tool and we are less sore afterwards too.

http://brandonjarchive.com/public/subframe_bushing_row.jpg

Brandon J
02-13-2008, 06:00 PM
And what Brandon doesn't mention is that when we were through with all those bushings we tore into Kris' DV M5 and changed the clutch, a couple seals, the center bearing and I believe you guys added some R&D sway bars while it was on Dave's lift.

Hey, there was also a shot of us fartin' around with Scott Hersteds car on the lift that was published in Roundel last month. I waited, but nobody here on the board seemed to catch that one! Good job Brandon, we made the mag again....by the way, was that some sort of Thanksgiving analogy? ;)

JR

Yes, that was a Thanksgiving analogy in January's Roundel. I was wondering if anybody would catch it.

Jr ///M5
02-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Hmm, the bushing is fine, just a problem with the person removing it ;)
A group of us got together and we averaged ~1-1.5 hours per e34 for the subframe bushings. It is much easier with the correct tool and we are less sore afterwards too.

http://brandonjarchive.com/public/subframe_bushing_row.jpg

And what Brandon doesn't mention is that when we were through with all those bushings we tore into Kris' DV M5 and changed the clutch, a couple seals, the center bearing and I believe you guys added some R&D sway bars while it was on Dave's lift.

Hey, there was also a shot of us fartin' around with Scott Hersteds car on the lift that was published in Roundel last month. I waited, but nobody here on the board seemed to catch that one! Good job Brandon, we made the mag again....by the way, was that some sort of Thanksgiving analogy? ;)

JR

whiskychaser
02-14-2008, 03:36 PM
LOL! I got it Whiskey don't worry... You're not alone! :D
Was feeling like Billy Nomates for a while there!:D Your info was a great help. I would have prefered to use a removal tool but at £2-300 quid versus £8 for a set of jig-saw blades from B&Q there was no contest.