PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket replacement

Hypr5
02-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Hello all,

While replacing the headgasket on the 98' 528i, I noticed that the gasket had deteriorated and there was gasket debris in the coolant passages (which had also blocked other coolant passages in the headgasket). Some are large pieces in which I have NO way or idea to remove. What can be done to get as much out as possible?

Thank you!

bad_manners_god
02-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Hello all,

While replacing the headgasket on the 98' 528i, I noticed that the gasket had deteriorated and there was gasket debris in the coolant passages (which had also blocked other coolant passages in the headgasket). Some are large pieces in which I have NO way or idea to remove. What can be done to get as much out as possible?

Thank you!

I would assume something like draino for aluminum???

Ross
02-10-2008, 08:58 AM
You could pump some water into the block via the hoses to try and flush some of it out. Dry the cylinders and drain the crankcase after.
The debris probably wont do any harm anyway. If it was disintegrating already the water pump should have no problem grinding it up. you can flush it later.

Dash01
02-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Needle nose thingy or drinking straw on shop vac, to poke into and vacuum the water jacket.