PDA

View Full Version : Road Bike in Trunk of E34 and project questions?

stimpee
02-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Will a small frame (54cm) road bike fit in the trunk of an E34 sedan? (Front wheel removed of course).

I am trying to decide on a project between an E34 Sedan and a Touring. Both have pluses and minuses! The plus of the sedan is that they are more plentiful, and I could find one with a manual so I can avoid the swap at least in my first stage.

The plan:

Phase I:

Add my twin screw kit to the stock 2.5L engine with manual trans, and just enjoy and drive the car for a bit. 275ish whp here.

Phase II:

Built 2.9-3.2L engine with 8.5-9:1 compression, 2.3L TS compressor, 450-500whp. Likely E46M3 6 speed transmission, nice wheels and suspension, some interior work. I have an E46M3 that I love, however I need to get back into a twin screw since I have not had one for over 18months. I figure since I developed it, I should have one, and I have an extreme desire to produce 450+ whp with one just to shut some people up. I think doing it in the E34 platform would be kind of cool.

Phase III?: Possibly custom mild widebody or flares. Maybe signficant custom interior work? This would be WAY down the road though.

One more question also, has anyone retrofitted a shoulder belt into the middle back seat? I have 4 kids ranging from 11 down to 3.5, so I would like to have the shoulder belt back there for when the little one outgrows the 5pt booster seat. Do the european models or any other E34s have a middle shoulder belt?

Thanks,
Steve

timandbim
02-09-2008, 12:58 PM
my road bike (sorry don't know frame size but it's a pretty average guy's 12 spd with racing handles) doesn't come close to fitting in my trunk, not with the front wheel off... not a chance...

Black 535i
02-09-2008, 01:49 PM
I always travel with my bike (2008 Cannondale Team Liquigas w/ Campy Record) in the rear seat standing upright with the wheels off of course. The bike sits on some old cardboard box pice so the chainrings do not go through the seats and the bike is held in by the seatbelts. I try not to let the bike lay flat because the shaking and bumps while travelling there affects the shifting after a while as well as the possibility of damage to the rear derailleur. The wheels I place behind the seats in the passenger foot space. Just my 2 cents worth. I used to do roofracks but the lack of decent mileage and the bugs and weather exposure drove me away from that route. Plus this way my bike is alwayslocked up and secure.

Paul in NZ
02-09-2008, 02:03 PM
i have a 58 cm frame,which fits in the boot with no problems,both wheels removed.You have to be careful of the rear d when putting it in but once through the hole there is plenty of room.I have thought having some sort of storage system wheby the wheels go in first then the bike and soft bags around the place...I have been on holiday with my bike and three people total in the car.When the bike is in i think the handlebars are turned 90 deg.A smaller frame(i am 6'3") would fit in a lot easier.
I have a euro car and the centre seat belt is lap only.The rear parcel self is metal though so it could be done,but probably easier to have a non inertia belt there.

Black 535i
02-09-2008, 04:49 PM
...and loop them through the frame and then buckle them so it holds quite well. Only thing is that whenever you look in the rearview the Fizik is sticking up there. Nothing major on the 56 cm frame. What are you guys riding btw?

Paul in NZ
02-09-2008, 05:40 PM
its a local brand...avanti,alloy oval tubes, shimano 105 spec carbon fork just a 9 spd....

upallnight
02-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Yakima, Thule and BMW has a rack for the e34 which allows you to mount a bike on top of the roof, with or without the front wheel on.

Dave M
02-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Look 585 56 cm fits easily in the trunk. Rear der. will grease up the carpet if you don't watch it.

Dave M

Dave M
02-10-2008, 05:05 PM
...so it does not grease it up as well as protecting it.
Give it a try, it will touch (or come dam close to toucing) the rear portion of the carpet even with drivetrain side up. As for protecting a rear der. or other 'stuff', I'll take more than a trip with the drivetrain down to bugger it up, unless you've got plastic dropouts ;)

Dave M

Black 535i
02-10-2008, 06:36 PM
...so it does not grease it up as well as protecting it.

rob101
02-10-2008, 06:54 PM
The plan:

Phase I:

Add my twin screw kit to the stock 2.5L engine with manual trans, and just enjoy and drive the car for a bit. 275ish whp here.

You're that stimpee! I thought you might be, hehe.:D muhaha etc.

Paul in NZ
02-11-2008, 12:59 AM
i get a strip of cloth loop it around the "swingarm" a couple of times then loop it around the chain and tie it off....stops the chain falling off the front rings,and pulls the rear d enough to stop it greasing the side of the boot and makes it just a wee bit easier to get it in...if i remember

GJPinAU
02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Steve,
buy your wife an 4.8 litre X5 and steal it when you want to go riding.:D