PDA

View Full Version : Clunk when applying brakes

pcross
02-07-2008, 04:33 PM
When I apply the brakes on my 1994 E34 525i, I hear a light "clunk" up front and, what feels like, a very slight nose-down dip. I just replaced the stabilizer bar supports, and I have thoroughly checked the brake calipers for rigidity. All of the front suspension and steering ball joints seem A-OK. The brake pads are nearly new. Any suggestions? Thanks.

whiskychaser
02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
When I apply the brakes on my 1994 E34 525i, I hear a light "clunk" up front and, what feels like, a very slight nose-down dip. I just replaced the stabilizer bar supports, and I have thoroughly checked the brake calipers for rigidity. All of the front suspension and steering ball joints seem A-OK. The brake pads are nearly new. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Had to replace front springs cos a small piece broke off one of mine. Symptoms as per yours. Worth a look while you are under there?

smcgowan
02-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Any shimmy in the wheel? I had same kind on thing and Upper thrust bushing were toast.

Tiger
02-08-2008, 08:02 AM
A clunk when braking always means a ball joint is bad... It probably would be your thrust arm ball joint.

pcross
02-08-2008, 08:15 AM
No shimmy in the wheel at all (steering smooth as silk), but I hadn't looked at the spring. I'll do that next. I'll also give the upper thrust bushing another look. Thanks.

BigTed00
02-08-2008, 09:15 AM
could be thrust arms, I havea similar clunk and I know for sure thrust arms and tie rod ends need to be replaced

Tiger
02-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Tie rod clunks are usually heard upon turning and hitting a road irregularity or turning into your own driveway. I make it necessary to change entire stearing system... left, right tie rods and center drag links, idler arm bushing or whole arm itself (easier) every 100,000 miles. That's alot of wear and tear on the steering system.

In strictly city driving, I would change it earlier... tons or turning, putholes, curbing... etc.

///Sniper535
02-08-2008, 11:07 AM
yeah, i get that clunk too, i know the thrust arms needs to be replaced.

pcross
02-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks everyone. I went back underneath with a stout pry bar this time. Left front thrust arm ball joint OK, but bushing bad. I'm replacing both thrust arm assemblies this weekend 'cause if the bushing is kaput, the ball joint will follow really really soon. I should have known to test with a prybar to begin with.

mottati
02-08-2008, 05:33 PM
would temperature effect this? I have a clunk that has been around for about 6 months, but only occurs after about 30 minutes of driving, once everything gets hot. Happens under accel or braking, over bumps etc. Anything that causes up down motion. This is on my e39, neither dealer nor independent can duplicate, but of course, they don't drive it long enough to make it happen.
Mike