PDA

View Full Version : Driver Door Won't unlock..all others do

HIe34
02-07-2008, 03:05 PM
I apologize for not wanting to Search for this, but here is my problem. It has happened in the past, but seems to be getting progressively worst.

When I unlock the driver door with the key, all the other doors unlock except the drivers door. The only way to get the driver's door to open is to pull the open latch from the inside of the car....

...but then the door won't close and the lock/unlock pin is stuck. I have found I can usually keep locking/unlocking and eventually it will work, but need to know what the permanent fix is. I saw the post about the trunk wires, but this sounds a bit different.

pcross
02-07-2008, 04:27 PM
It sounds like the door lock actuator is going (has gone) south. If all other doors work properly, it is not the central locking system module at fault, but the driver's door actuator. You most likely are looking at replacing that actuator to be happy again.

DidIDoGood?
02-08-2008, 07:34 PM
I had a similar problem with my rear door locks. It turned out to be the acuators as rightly assumed. The cure was quite easy really and i didn't have to buy new actuators. Remove the actuator, take off black plastic shroud an pop a blob of silicon grease in to the motor wheel cog, then work back and forth to free up the teeth and wheels. This cured the lock on the left side of my car but on the right i needed to put a strip of tightly stretched electrical tape around the actuator because when the motor fired the cog misaligned due to wear. Dead easy to fix really - have a look at http://bmw4life.com/doorLockActuator.htm for step by step guide (less the electrical tape bit) Hope it works..:D

It sounds like the door lock actuator is going (has gone) south. If all other doors work properly, it is not the central locking system module at fault, but the driver's door actuator. You most likely are looking at replacing that actuator to be happy again.