PDA

View Full Version : Dead Battery. Alarm keeps going off

shogun
02-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Yesterday I left my lights on all day at work and my battery died. I have a 1992 535i with a Factory Alarm with a one button remote.

So that morning I locked all the doors and activated the alarm by just pressing the button on the remote as usual, but didnt realize I left my lights on, so needless to say when I was going to leave work, my battery was dead. I used my key to unlock the driver's door, popped the hood and had a friend jump start my car. It started right up and at the same time, the alarm sounded and killed the engine. So now the engine is not running and the alarm is sounding. I trying starting it again, it starts then the alarm seems to being killing the ignition and won't the engine run. I tried over and over to press the button on the remote but it only would make an odd beep of the alarm horn, but not diactivate it. Any one have any suggestions on how to get my car back to normal?
thanks, Joe 1992 535i
---------------------------------
answer:
Have you tried removing the fuse to the alarm? The factory alarm should be located on top of the rear fuse box under the rear seat. You'll see the fuse attached to a pair of wire leading from the alarm unit. Remove the fuse, then start up the car and drive the car for awhile to charge up the battery or try charging the battery over night. Maybe this'll reset the alarm? Let us know if this works or not. Good luck.
glen-sj
--------------------------------------------------
reply:
Update: Problem Solved

Thought I would share with everyone how this episode ended.

It was a rather simple fix. The next morning, all I did was disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, and even though the battery seemed completely dead, the moment I disconnect the negative side cable, I could hear some of the relays and/or control units under the rear seat clicking. Then I disconnected the Alarm control unit. Then I reconnected the battery and jumped started the car. It started right up and ran no problem. I let it run for about half hour just to charge the battery up. Then just to be safe I disconnected the battery again, reconnected the alarm control module, then reconnect the battery started her back up and wala, no more confused alarm system and the car ran no problem.

Only other quirk was a quick fix too. After that, when I pressed the button on the remote for the alarm, it would activate and deactivate the alarm but not the central locking. All I had to do to solve that problem was to manual lock and unlock the doors with the key and then the remote would lock the doors and activated the alarm and visa versa.
PS thanks Glen! Joe 1992 535i
--------------------------------------------
copied for the archives from RF E34 board