PDA

View Full Version : Question for those with Bilstein sport shocks and lowering springs...

repenttokyo
02-06-2008, 03:30 PM
as far as i know, the bilstein sports come with their own bumpstops.

i made this post at 5:21 pm, not 3:30 as the post indicates.

632 Regal
02-06-2008, 04:28 PM
built in: http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/Bumpstops.htm

I ended up replacing them with sachs cause they would blow out on my often

gmannino
02-06-2008, 05:19 PM
I am about to purchase a set of Bilstein Sport shocks for my car and I have a few questions before I purchase. My car is currently lowered on Vogland springs with 18 inch wheels.

When I installed the lowering springs, I noticed that my rubber or foam bump stops are completely deteriorated and in dire need of replacement. I read on Bavauto's website that the rubber bump stops are not needed when purchasing Bilstein sports.

Does the Bilstein sports come with a different rubber bump stop or does it have it built in?

Thanks

Tiger
02-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Front Bilstein Sport has their own internal bump stop... even has its own shock sleeve.

Rear Bilstein Sport uses factory shock sleeve... However, the factory bump stop must be cut back 2"... Sometime these bumpstop are stuck inside the sleeve... you must force them out. I would recommend you buy new bumpstop anyway.

gmannino
02-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Yes, with the rear I will buy and cut new bump stops.

Hey Jeff,
Why did you want to cut down the interior bump stops on the sports anyways?

BMWCCA1
02-07-2008, 08:44 AM
I believe the OE bump stop is only used with the Bilsteins to hold the protective sleeve in place. They need to be cut because the Sports have a shorter travel than the stock shocks and are designed to operate with shorter springs. The Bilsteins still have their own internal bump stop so the stock piece isn't really operating as a bump stop any longer, just an attachment point for the dust cover, or "protective tube" as BMW calls it. You cut it to get it out of the way. You could probably get by using your old stuff unless the bump stop is totally trashed by now and won't hold the sleeve.