PDA

View Full Version : OBC Range function inaccuracy

Paul in NZ
02-06-2008, 12:39 AM
mine seems to be ok....at least as accurate as the speed/distance calcs and fuel gauge ...I would sy that its your fuel gauge thats out,if you ran out without evn the orange lght coming on.The range calcs use the fuel gauge for fuel level??the most i have ever put in my car is 72 litres....nd i was down to very very low range,.According to the specs i still 8 litres left????

gmannino
02-06-2008, 01:24 AM
I've been experiencing low accuracy from my RANGE button on my OBC. A while back, I ran my car completely out of gas because my RANGE value said 103 miles left. My reserve LED gas light did not even come on; my car just died.

I have searched a few forums for this solution but I could not find anyone who has actually repaired this problem. All I ask is for the RANGE to be decently accurate, not 100 miles off.

Anyone know of a repair?

I have found this article but has anyone verified this technique?
http://kunden.tridem.de/auto/erich/gauge/gauge.htm

This article applies to e32's and inaccuracies of the fuel gauge. My fuel gauge works perfectly, only the RANGE is off.

I'd love for my RANGE to be more accurate.

shogun
02-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Thanks for visiting my website :D

Yes, that would be the first thing to check.
Recently I have disassembled some tanks and found floats there which really could not move all the way, because the rods were corroded, bent etc.
That is the first thing to check, from there you can start the other things.

And read this
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/fuel_sender/fuel_sender.html

gmannino
02-06-2008, 04:43 AM
Thanks Shogun. I will check the float assembly.

jonny5
02-06-2008, 02:07 PM
i have the opposit problem with my car. I've gone a good 25 miles after the range feature claimed I couldn't go any farther.

David Chen
02-06-2008, 02:45 PM
IME, the range feature is only accurate between 10 and 70 liters (2.5-18 US gallons) From a full tank, the range doesn't change for the first 80km and when the range flashes "----" there is at least 6-10 liters remaining in the tank.

Aloha,

David

i have the opposit problem with my car. I've gone a good 25 miles after the range feature claimed I couldn't go any farther.