PDA

View Full Version : 4-way Hose Replacement (525iT)

DavidL
02-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I've got to replace the 4-way hose that runs from the bottom of the radiator to points rearward on my 94 525i wagon.

Bentleys doesn't document this procedure (or even show the connection points).

Has anyone done this replacement? Do I really have to remove the intake manifold to get to the connections?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David L.

ryan roopnarine
02-05-2008, 01:23 PM
if you have very small/agile (or both) hands, you certainly don't need to. if you've never had the intake manifold off before, it might be rough going, as you will have to look in through the holes in the top of the manifold to see where you are trying to go. you will cuss and cut your hands up to do it in situ, but you can certainly get it done. i sure wouldn't, but i've been under (it) before.

Ross
02-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Agreed. The intake isn't that big a deal and is a perfect opportunity to replace the vacuum hoses to the idle valve and the o-rings on the vac fittings.

e34.535i.sport
02-05-2008, 01:43 PM
I replaced that hose along with all the others a while back. It was a bit of a pain but do-able without removing the manifold... And they call me sausage fingers. :)

Dave M
02-05-2008, 02:22 PM
I second or third removal of the manifold. If you don't, you'll be strobing around under there wondering whether you've got hold of the right hose, bumped something else loose or thightened something enough. You'll get tired of looking through the manifold, scraping and bruising your hands in the process. What a downer I've become ;)

With it out of the way, you can be more confident everything has been done properly. And yes, replace the intake gaskets while you're there.

Dave M

whiskychaser
02-05-2008, 05:22 PM
I second or third removal of the manifold. If you don't, you'll be strobing around under there wondering whether you've got hold of the right hose, bumped something else loose or thightened something enough. You'll get tired of looking through the manifold, scraping and bruising your hands in the process. What a downer I've become ;)

With it out of the way, you can be more confident everything has been done properly. And yes, replace the intake gaskets while you're there.

Dave M
x another
whats more you may find the hose you want to remove has cable ties on it holding it to brackets etc. Intake manifold takes me 20 mins: I dont disconnect the throttle/cruise cable for a start:) Use new intake gaskets like Dave says and dont forget the little hose from the pressure valve that connects to the underside of the manifold

DavidL
02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
x another
whats more you may find the hose you want to remove has cable ties on it holding it to brackets etc. Intake manifold takes me 20 mins: I dont disconnect the throttle/cruise cable for a start:) Use new intake gaskets like Dave says and dont forget the little hose from the pressure valve that connects to the underside of the manifold

Thanks to all that responded. I ordered the manifold gaskets along with the hose and received them all yesterday. I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Dave

Ross
02-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Would you be good enough to post some pictures of the area with the manifold removed and also the inverted intake manifold?
They would be useful to many here with questions regarding that damn hose and also the idle valve and the other troublesome hose that live invisibly down there.

Dave M
02-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Would you be good enough to post some pictures of the area with the manifold removed and also the inverted intake manifold?
They would be useful to many here with questions regarding that damn hose and also the idle valve and the other troublesome hose that live invisibly down there.

Heres a start

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Engine/Block_Swap/nov_22_2005013.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Engine/Block_Swap/nov_22_2005015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Engine/Block_Swap/nov_22_2005014.jpg

DavidL
02-10-2008, 09:09 PM

I don't know that I have much to show beyond the helpful shots that Dave M posted (thanks!) but here's one showing "that damn hose" - highlighted in red. In this shot, the fitting that connects to the underside of the manifold is in place (though its retaining clip that SHOULD be on the botton is missing). The smaller hose heading off to the left from this fitting actually goes back up and connects to the crankcase ventilation valve.