PDA

View Full Version : car runs like a lawnmower w/ AC on

misfortune
02-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Thats all there is to say. If the AC is on, I might as well be driving my lawnmower....and the engine has almost no power, and sounds like its about to stall sometimes.

What could be the cause? The alternator? Battery? What should I check?

DaveVoorhis
02-05-2008, 08:33 AM
The A/C compressor may be seizing up.

karl1171
02-06-2008, 03:49 AM
So can you fix the compressor or do you need a new one?

Mine doesn't drive as well with the aircon on, but not to the extent of drving a lawnmower!

Podmore
02-06-2008, 07:25 AM
You might try cleaning the ICV (idle control valve) - if this is stuck, then the extra load from the a/c would pull the engine down to a too-low idle. Give the ICV a flush with carburettor or brake cleaner, then a squirt of WD40 or similar.

t.wak
02-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Mine has had a noticable power decrease also when activating the AC... Tomorrow I am putting some new compressor oil in it and replacing the the belt... See how it goes.

upallnight
02-10-2008, 10:54 AM
The compressor to the a/c could be going, does the a/c still get cold or just cool? Do you see oil streaks on the ground or hood if the a/c is running? At highway spped, when the a/c kicks in do you feel it? Do you hear a whine from the engine compartment when the a/c is on at highway speed or at a certain rpm?

t.wak
02-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Before doing what mentioned in my earlier post I also had a ticking noise coming from the AC compressor. After regassing, lubricating and installing a new belt, the sound is gone.

My system wasn't too low on gas, so the regassing didn't really change the temperature much, but I also feel less of a power decrease when activating the AC while driving.