PDA

View Full Version : Does disconnecting the battery reset the trans comp?

brosher
02-04-2008, 11:37 PM
I know the trans computer is in the passenger side kick panel (Touring) but I couldn't find an obvious plug to pull. Will disconnecting the battery for ~15 minutes have the same effect or do you need to actually unplug the trans. comp?

shogun
02-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Yes, disconnecting for 15 minutes the battery is enough.

BMWCCA1
02-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Is there some adaptive quality to the GM/Salzburg transmission that can be reset in this manner? Not that I'd ever own one, but I thought only the V8s had adaptive trannies. Just curious.

brosher
02-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks! :)

///Sniper535
02-05-2008, 10:37 PM
speaking of which, someone told me that disconnecting the battery and making the neg and positive terminals of the car touch each other for a few minutes will reset all the fault codes of the car. Is was called something discharge... i guess it's a VW trick.

karl1171
02-06-2008, 03:37 AM
speaking of which, someone told me that disconnecting the battery and making the neg and positive terminals of the car touch each other for a few minutes will reset all the fault codes of the car. Is was called something discharge... i guess it's a VW trick.
I've heard something similar: If you had a faulty component eg air flow meter the ecu may compensate for this so when a replacement is fitted shorting the terminals resets the compensation.

Apprently the ecu will recognise a new componenet eventually but takes a few hundred miles to return to normal.

I also understand you need your ignition key in position II when doing this!

Robin-535im
02-06-2008, 04:05 PM
'round these parts that's known as the Shogun Reset. :)

pcross
02-06-2008, 07:50 PM
A big CAVEAT... when you join the two anodes of the battery together, you had better do it through a rather high resistance resistor. The exact size can be found on another E34 forum (I can't remember which right now). All you really want to do is lightly stimulate the system to a reset mode, not fry wiring. Also, the EGS in the passenger kick panel of a 1994 525i has a rather large connector that disengages quite easily. I have disconnected mine (also a 1994 525i) on several occasions to measure voltage/resistance.

upallnight
02-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Do you get a Trans Program error on the dash? Just shutting off the engine should reset the tran. comp.

bmmrguy
04-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Do you get a Trans Program error on the dash? Just shutting off the engine should reset the tran. comp.

I'm still having issues with with my Trans Program error, on my 90 535i.
I'm slowly following the instructions from the E34 Website on this error.
Shutting the car on or off hasn't helped. I've replaced the ATF Fluid and nothing. I've replaced the battery, the alternator is in good condition. Still hasn't made the error go away.

Do I need to leave the battery unplugged over night?

Should I look at doing this "Shogun Reset" to see if it will go away. Could someone explain this to me further?

Should I look further into the Trans Computer thing?

Should I look at getting a new ECU?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
KC

whiskychaser
04-03-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm still having issues with with my Trans Program error, on my 90 535i.
I'm slowly following the instructions from the E34 Website on this error.
Shutting the car on or off hasn't helped. I've replaced the ATF Fluid and nothing. I've replaced the battery, the alternator is in good condition. Still hasn't made the error go away.

Do I need to leave the battery unplugged over night?

Should I look at doing this "Shogun Reset" to see if it will go away. Could someone explain this to me further?

Should I look further into the Trans Computer thing?

Should I look at getting a new ECU?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
KC
The reset is just disconnecting your battery and touching the leads together - it is NOT connecting the battery terminals together :D . I think the theory is you discharge capacitors which power the ECU's memory. First job is to see if any fault codes are stored. That will tell you which bits are causing you trouble. Even BMW UK only charge about £40 to do this if you dont fancy investing in a code reader yourself or dont know anyone who has one

bmmrguy
04-03-2008, 02:12 PM
The reset is just disconnecting your battery and touching the leads together - it is NOT connecting the battery terminals together :D . I think the theory is you discharge capacitors which power the ECU's memory. First job is to see if any fault codes are stored. That will tell you which bits are causing you trouble. Even BMW UK only charge about £40 to do this if you dont fancy investing in a code reader yourself or dont know anyone who has one

Thank for the information. So I geuss I just hook up the jumper cables and touch the + and - lines together. Won't that create a spark?

I took it to a place and they told me I was getting some torque converter error code messages. He also told me I needed a new head gasket, but I took it elsewhere and I just needed a new radiator pffffttt..... money grubbin arse!

Would it help the group to get actual error codes and post them?

Thanks for the polite information, I'm mechanically inept :)

whiskychaser
04-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Thank for the information. So I geuss I just hook up the jumper cables and touch the + and - lines together. Won't that create a spark?

I took it to a place and they told me I was getting some torque converter error code messages. He also told me I needed a new head gasket, but I took it elsewhere and I just needed a new radiator pffffttt..... money grubbin arse!

Would it help the group to get actual error codes and post them?

Thanks for the polite information, I'm mechanically inept :)
You disconnect the leads from the battery and then touch the leads together. If your radio has a code make sure you know it before you do this. Loss of coolant, oil in coolant and vice versa are the classic signs of head gasket failure. Sure sign is if you take the oil filler cap off and you see a mayo like substance in there. As for transprog, error codes and gearbox type would help. The problems you are having are fairly common so if you do a search you will find a lot of information on here.

bmmrguy
04-11-2008, 07:59 PM
I've left the battery unplugged for 1 hour and touched the leads together a few times. I hooked up the battery again, and now I'm still getting the Trans Program Error code on on the computer.

So far I've:
Replaced Battery
Alternator is Good
Replaced the Engine Speed Sensor
Replaced ATF
Oil & Oil Filter Change
Replaced Thermostat

Anything else I can do to get rid of this blasted transprog error.
It happens when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd Gear. It then hits this error and goes into "limp mode". Before I did the "shogun reset" I was getting error codes 27 and 54. Something with the Torque I think....

whiskychaser
04-12-2008, 06:41 AM
I've left the battery unplugged for 1 hour and touched the leads together a few times. I hooked up the battery again, and now I'm still getting the Trans Program Error code on on the computer.

So far I've:
Replaced Battery
Alternator is Good
Replaced the Engine Speed Sensor
Replaced ATF
Oil & Oil Filter Change
Replaced Thermostat

Anything else I can do to get rid of this blasted transprog error.
It happens when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd Gear. It then hits this error and goes into "limp mode". Before I did the "shogun reset" I was getting error codes 27 and 54. Something with the Torque I think....
Had a look through the info I have but cant find a code 54 listed for the 4HP22 which is what I am guessing you have. Code 27 reads engine speed sensor, TC or stall speed fault. You can check the sensor at the ECU pins 8 + 27. Long shot but is it worth checking the wiring?