PDA

View Full Version : :: Drove the e34 again today... (II)

repenttokyo
02-04-2008, 09:40 PM
i never find the e34 looks outdated against the e39. in fact, I used to like the e39 a lot more, but ever since I bought my e34 the only e39 I still find attractive is the M.

Qube
02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Here's (I) http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36436

This is just a boring thread. Feel free to rant.

So drove the e34 again today... partially because I miss her, partially because it's raining VERY hard and I want to get a free 'wash', partially because I had to move to another parking spot. Ok, so the latter was the motivator.

Of course she didn't start. I managed to keep her alive on iv drip at about 10v but that's about it (condo, no plug nearby). Boosted her with the portable 700a batt and let her warm up.

First thing I notice is man, that Magnaflow sounds good... and the car smells. It smells like I first got her... it's some sort of 'old car smell'. I must have gotten used to it before, but it's definitely there. I place a new box of baking soda and a vanilla scented freshener in the center console. Next, the low beams faded out and back in... both at the same time. Interesting. Started off slow and noticed the brakes are crap... probably a coating of rust on the discs. Take it easy a few laps around the block, then remember I only have comprehensive insurance coverage. I continue on.

Took a little bit to get used to the 'tightness' of the handling and pedals. A few rainy warmup laps later and it's full throttle (no traffic). I can't stress it enough, these cars just let you FEEL alive. In the e39, you're living large... cushy et al, but these just keep you feeling alive. Sure, I can now definitely feel the speed/torque difference between the M30 and the M62, but still.

Long story short, it was a wonderful drive -- even though on braking, one disc feels like it has a rusty runout... scratch scratch scratch. I park her, secure and as I step away, she no longer looks fierce. Somehow, she looks outdated, and 'old car smelly'. Still, her heart is there, and beats strong after 350000k. Sell? Hard to say. Not sure there will be someone out there that appreciates an aged car like this. Those that do, usually choose e30s. Meh. End boring rant.

NB: Perhaps the BMWCCA training and TCD stage II next year isn't so far fetched...

EDIT: I do have to add something though... saw an e34 535 the other day and a 540 today, both done up. I miss them. Driving in the e39 feels nice, but just lost in the sea of 'modern' cars. Gone is the 'brotherhood' feeling in an e34.

Qube
02-04-2008, 11:23 PM
i never find the e34 looks outdated against the e39. in fact, I used to like the e39 a lot more, but ever since I bought my e34 the only e39 I still find attractive is the M.

Next car... e39 M5 in Alpine White or Avus Blue... is a must. At that point, I will no longer look back at the e34 ;)

Paul in NZ
02-05-2008, 05:32 AM
Next car... e39 M5 in Alpine White or Avus Blue... is a must. At that point, I will no longer look back at the e34 ;)
might make you look more......

Ross
02-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Qube,
I agree with your comparison. The E39 feels like a Buick to me. Sprung too soft and steering too light. Visibility badly compromised by huge pillars. I just can't warm up to it's watered down style and feel. It seems soul less while the E34 has heart. There is no V-8 under the hood of mine to mitigate the rest. GF loves it though so...

Qube
02-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Qube,
I agree with your comparison. The E39 feels like a Buick to me. Sprung too soft and steering too light. Visibility badly compromised by huge pillars. I just can't warm up to it's watered down style and feel. It seems soul less while the E34 has heart. There is no V-8 under the hood of mine to mitigate the rest. GF loves it though so...

The visibilitly helped by added aspherical mirrors... definitely. I agree with the "GF loves it though so..." Tough choice :)

Sam-Son
02-05-2008, 06:26 PM
My thoughts exactly