PDA

View Full Version : Need a new front fender (good part souce?)

e34musician
02-04-2008, 08:03 PM
A wife's cr-v backed up from the garage and hit my car:(

The shop said I need and new fender. They can't just form back the shape of the old one (it will cause ~$500 buck to do that and not gauratee it will look the same).

They will paint (match color) and install a new fender for me for $250 if I bring my own part. I found a cheap part source on ebay. What do guys think? I don't know how the new material will hold up .... The feed back is good though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FENDER-bmw-525I-89-95-primed-auto-car-90-91-92-93-94-RH_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33644QQihZ024QQitemZ 370019194149QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ShippingPaymen t

vince
02-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Where are you, and was it the passenger side? I saw a good driver's in a junkyard yesterday.

vince
Naperville, IL

gmannino
02-04-2008, 10:07 PM
E34musician, I have just replaced my front drivers fender with good success. I have a few tips.

My car is a 1990 so my primary concern was the matching of the paint. I know there are good paint mixers out there who can match new paint to look faded like older paint jobs.

I kept looking on craigslist, ebay, BMW forums, and calling around local salvage yard for a white fender and finally I found one on this forum. I purchased the fender and installed it. It was from a 1989 parts car and matched almost perfectly. The paint actually matches better than my original hood.

Anyways, I would stay away from aftermarket fenders like the one listed in your ebay add. Stick with a BMW oem fender and have it repainted if you have to. Keep all the metal the same and the quality will be the same.

e34musician
02-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks for all replies. I'm in California. Will keep looking on ebay, craigslist for used real oem part instead.

anyone here has extra passenger fender, let me know. Peace....

hartge h26
02-06-2008, 09:10 AM
if she hit the other side I have a drivers side just sitting collecting dust.

e34musician
02-06-2008, 12:03 PM
if she hit the other side I have a drivers side just sitting collecting dust.

Thanks! It would be nice if that was the case. Anyway. I just ordered a "real" used one (black) from ebay for $100 including shipping. Will have it repaint to my color. Will see how the new tech of matching paint works. I will probably need to polish and wax the car before the shop compare and mix the paint.