PDA

View Full Version : Few Question>>

repenttokyo
02-03-2008, 11:45 PM
i am also interested in the auto dimming mirror wiring.

///Sniper535
02-04-2008, 01:05 AM
1. I just swapped a new used instrument cluster in my car. s/w version 0.97 because the previous one i put it had too many miles, right turn signal light didn't work, gave me TRANS PROGRAM, and odometer light and miles were off. This was a 0.95 version. The only problems I'm having with this new cluster is that the gear selection screen is acting up too but in a different way. E shows up and the second place holder doesn't produce a letter for P. When I switch it to M mode, i get an asterisk(*) instead of an M. When I shift up and down I get D, 2, and an R instead of 1 or 3. Also, this may have something to do with the throttle cable adjustment but according to the cluster, my rev limit is 5000 rpm. I notice the TACH is looking a bit sluggish so it could be the throttle cable.

2. I yanked an Auto-dim rear view mirror from a '94 740i. Jackpot! How do I go about connecting it so it works properly?

3. I also took the sunroof switch because I figured the lights in the switch would still work, but it doesn't light up. What gives?

4. The lights that illuminate the thumbwheel on the center vents, how do I fix it to light up again?

5. About the rear view mirror, can i somehow retro fit one that has the built in compass? just curious.

///Sniper535
02-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Anyone?

I found a connector under the headliner that seems to match the auto dim mirror connector but it was a 6 pin connector but has the same color wires so i spliced the wires to use the 8 pin connector that came with the auto dim mirror but it isn't working. any ideas?

attack eagle
02-05-2008, 01:57 AM
2: if yours was so equipped it would be a tiny flat 3 wire plug.

1: did you change the coding plug? Assuming you didin't because the miles are wrong. did you clean the gear selector before condemning the cluster as the problem with trans program?

are you sure #2 is from a GASOLINE car and not a diesel? I'd suggest going back to the prior one, and swapping the bulbs to correct any lights that are out.
Then swap the coding plug from the original cluster in.

///Sniper535
02-05-2008, 09:07 AM
2: if yours was so equipped it would be a tiny flat 3 wire plug.

1: did you change the coding plug? Assuming you didin't because the miles are wrong. did you clean the gear selector before condemning the cluster as the problem with trans program?

are you sure #2 is from a GASOLINE car and not a diesel? I'd suggest going back to the prior one, and swapping the bulbs to correct any lights that are out.
Then swap the coding plug from the original cluster in.

The new cluster came from a 93 525i. My old clusters has so may small electrical problems it was so frustrating. I will try to clean the gear selector again but I dont know if it will do any good.

My car is an 02/89 and there was a pug similiar to the one the mirror requires. Ill post up pictures later

///Sniper535
02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Here are the wires and connectors that came with the mirror...

theres a:

blue/green wire
brown/orange wire?
red/purple wire

The connector on the mirror only has 3 needles for the connector that takes 10 pins..

///Sniper535
02-05-2008, 06:42 PM
heres the connector that I found under my headliner. 6 pin female connector.

theres a blue/purple, green and brown wire on it.

attack eagle
02-05-2008, 06:54 PM
don't think so...

did you test them for ignition, reverse, and ground ?

///Sniper535
02-05-2008, 07:09 PM
no, i don't have a multimeter at hand

Bo525i
02-05-2008, 07:42 PM
The 2nd in #6 is the one that goes into pic 3 !

Just like me, u´ve only got wiring for the electrochromic mirror.. All the other pins are for alarm and IR remote entry!

///Sniper535
02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I wired it up but the mirror doesn't autodim. should there be a little light on the mirror to signify its functional?

Bo525i
02-05-2008, 07:59 PM
I wired it up but the mirror doesn't autodim. should there be a little light on the mirror to signify its functional?

No lites on mine, just a sensor in front and one that faces backwards..

Kalevera
02-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Wrong connector, that's for the alarm.

The one you want will be clear plastic or yellow. Three pins in it: ground, constant 12v and switched (with the lights) 12v. Connect the mirror to the switched 12v. Frankly, you got the wrong mirror. You should have bought an early style auto dimmer. The '89 body harness doesn't carry the mirror's third wire reverse/backup functionality. The later style is plug and play for '93 and later cars only, it does not have a light.

On the cluster: a '93 525 has a blue backed cluster. An '89 535 has a white or gray backed cluster, and they're not compatible. Need to find the same thing that came with the car.

///Sniper535
02-05-2008, 08:29 PM
I took the mirror from a 94 740i. I yanked the connector and it's wires along with the mirror. The first 3 pics are of the parts that i took from the E32. The second single picture is what i found under my car's headliner where the sunroof motor is. I spliced the 3 wires in my car to the 3 wires that come with the mirror but i get no function from the mirror.

the clusters do work, i just get screwy behavior on the gear selection screen.

attack eagle
02-06-2008, 06:45 AM
to add to what lowell said above, though it is the wrong style you CAN make it work... I hard wired mine since I couldn't find a plug. What the hey, it was a $3.25 mirror after all!

I'm using an e46 mirror (10 pin) in my 92 (3 wire).

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9774424&postcount=23

Kalevera
02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Again, you have the wrong connector on the body side of the harness.

You cut the alarm IR harness connector, shown in the picture you posted at 6.42. The reason you have no function from the mirror is because that harness connector has no power. It has no power on it because few, if any, US spec E34 535s had the IR alarm system installed -- it's just a dead connector, no control module on the other end.

The 3 pin, white or yellow, mirror harness connector is further back.

///Sniper535
02-06-2008, 08:28 PM
is that what i'm aiming for? also, what does each wire do thats comes ffrom the mirror? red and purple i assume is power, blue and green is reverse maybe? and brown and orange is ground?

attack eagle
02-06-2008, 10:08 PM
why don't you READ>>>
seriously.