PDA

View Full Version : Lube that trunk (boot) lock!

Ross
02-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Mine has been sticky for a while but really crappy weather has been an excuse not to tend to it. The button has been sticking at the in postion but turnig the key left and pulling hard has always popped it back out, until now.
So the trunk closes but won't latch. This combined with weak struts has the lid flying open over big bumps and then slamming back down, much to the delight of the kids in the car alongside.
Removing the lock was a five minute job. It was stuck firm in the in position and no amount of banging, twisting or pulling would budge it.
A thorough flush with PB blaster into the keyhole, from the back and around the button got it to move a bit with some force. A lot more juice and wiggling every which way finally freed it up to work like new.
I thought for sure the lock was going to be a goner.

whiskychaser
02-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Mine has been sticky for a while but really crappy weather has been an excuse not to tend to it. The button has been sticking at the in postion but turnig the key left and pulling hard has always popped it back out, until now.
So the trunk closes but won't latch. This combined with weak struts has the lid flying open over big bumps and then slamming back down, much to the delight of the kids in the car alongside.
Removing the lock was a five minute job. It was stuck firm in the in position and no amount of banging, twisting or pulling would budge it.
A thorough flush with PB blaster into the keyhole, from the back and around the button got it to move a bit with some force. A lot more juice and wiggling every which way finally freed it up to work like new.
I thought for sure the lock was going to be a goner.
A timely reminder. Would also suggest same treatment for driver's door lock. I use WD40 and that works fine for me. In colder climes (german) history shows using the wrong oil may not be wise