PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Wiper Problem!

kiffer
02-01-2008, 01:32 PM
the other day i ran into a serious problem considering i live in northeast ohio, my windshield wipers stopped working. they have recently been moving quite slow on my 91 525i when i first run them in the cold morning, but after a little time it seemed like they warmed up and ran like normal. i just assumed it had something to do with the 10 degree weather and the motor not getting enough juice, but the other day i heard a loud snap as they were making their slow travel across my windshield. the breaking point was a ball joint where the motor arm connects with the internal parts of the wipers. i have come to realize that the motor was fine, but the connections and moving points within the wiper system have seemed to freeze or rust, none the less, i have tried WD40'ing them up and it still takes some serious effort to move the wipers with no motor connected to them. im hoping someone can help me in where i could find some of these internal parts of the windshield wiper system or if this has happened to anyone else if there is any tricks to make them work again.

gymkata
02-05-2008, 12:09 AM
the other day i ran into a serious problem considering i live in northeast ohio, my windshield wipers stopped working. they have recently been moving quite slow on my 91 525i when i first run them in the cold morning, but after a little time it seemed like they warmed up and ran like normal. i just assumed it had something to do with the 10 degree weather and the motor not getting enough juice, but the other day i heard a loud snap as they were making their slow travel across my windshield. the breaking point was a ball joint where the motor arm connects with the internal parts of the wipers. i have come to realize that the motor was fine, but the connections and moving points within the wiper system have seemed to freeze or rust, none the less, i have tried WD40'ing them up and it still takes some serious effort to move the wipers with no motor connected to them. im hoping someone can help me in where i could find some of these internal parts of the windshield wiper system or if this has happened to anyone else if there is any tricks to make them work again.

I noticed the problem last morning when it was very slow out of the gate and slowly starting to get to a more normal speed later.
anyone else figure this out?

kiffer
03-27-2008, 01:15 PM
I noticed the problem last morning when it was very slow out of the gate and slowly starting to get to a more normal speed later.
anyone else figure this out?

its the wiper transmission, basicly the interior components that the motor must turn are slowly freezing up....mine eventually froze and the motor snapped the connecting joint....i would grease them up or something before it gets to bad

kick7ca
03-28-2008, 09:07 AM
This happened to me. They got progessively slower until they just stopped. It was the large mechanism (can't think what it's called....carraige?) that drives the arms, not the motor. It had simply siezed up from age.

Kind of a big job to replace, but not too difficult. You have to remove the blower motor and it's case and all that's involved with that. The part is kind of pricey too, unless you find a used one. Instructions are in Bentley.