PDA

View Full Version : How often should I adjsut my m30 valves??

sneekens
01-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Is there a standard on how often i should adjust my valves? mileage? years of use? etc. I still don't hear ticking noises in my engine, and I am not sure if the preivious owner did it in the past though. It has 92xxxKMS on it. Lastly, is there a required torque when bolting back the valve cover?

thanks!

bjmitts
01-30-2008, 09:36 PM
I think you're supposed to do it every 15,000 miles. I just bought mine last year, and am planning to adjust them. I'm a little apprehensive though since I've never done it. I've got the spring loaded tool thingy, valve cover gasket, and a torque wrench. Not sure what else I need. Maybe some Lock Tite?

As for your torque question, I'm not sure. But here's a link for valve adjustment instructions:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/engine/valve_adjust.htm

gale
01-30-2008, 09:38 PM
That falls under an "Inspection 1" every 15k miles:

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Gen_maintenance/Data/Inspection_I.pdf

Here's a link for doing the valve adjustment:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_5.htm

I forget the exact spec for torquing the cover nuts. It's pretty low, something like 7 ft-lb.

Adnan
01-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi,

Like most other owners, I checked them at 15k miles initially. The gaps were holding perfectly and pretty soon I stretched it to 30k miles.

All I can say is that in the last 80k miles, the valves have held perfectly, which I find to be very surprising. The engine is also super smooth with a very refined idle (it has the usual M30 lope but without much of an RPM fluctuation).

What this means is that each engine is different; check yours till you learn its pattern.

Regards,
Adnan

sneekens
01-31-2008, 05:35 AM
thanks for your replies! my engine doesn't have the ticking noise usually heard if valves are out of gap or something. still idles smooth and accelerates smoothly.. maybe i'll try to do this after the next change oil. hmm, just wondering about the torque figures for the valve cover..

thanks!!!

Robert K
01-31-2008, 06:17 AM
Typically, the clearance between the top of the valve stem and the rocker arm (known as valve lash) will get smaller as time goes on. That's because the valve seat slowly erodes allowing the valve spring to pull the valve farther into the head. That closes the gap so that the valves probably making less ticking than they would with a proper adjustment. But here's the real issue. If the valve seat erodes enough, eventually, there may be no gap between the top of the valve and the rocker arm and the rocker arm may begin to hold the valve open, if ever so slightly. If that happens long enough, the exhaust gases slipping by the partially opened valve will burn the valve and seat. Once that happens, you get to pull the head and have a valve job done, which is expensive and no fun to boot. So typically, when you adjust the valves, you're actually going to open up the gap a bit, not close it down. It's not too difficult and most people only need to do it once every year or so. If you're going to own a car with the M30, it's just one of the pleasures you get for owning the car.

Robert K
1991 535i (for sale)

JMI
01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
The engine is also super smooth with a very refined idle (it has the usual M30 lope but without much of an RPM fluctuation).
Adnan
I've seen the term "lope" before but not sure what it means.
Can you explain please.

Jim

bmwpower
01-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Can you explain please.

Jim

Every hear a big block American car with a hot cam in it? That's the epitome of "lope".

Paul in NZ
01-31-2008, 06:01 PM
the idle speed fluctuates a little bit,hardly noticeable on rev counter but quite audible.Mine lopes as above ,every now and then does fluctuate a bit in rpm,but only when not fully warmed up.

Adnan
01-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Can you explain please.

Jim

Hi,

The term probably originated from the equestrians where a horse will sometimes go into a "loping" gait. The best way I can descrbe it is a kind of periodic motion, where there is a certain rhythm as opposed to a steady rate.

An exaggerated lope could be described as hunting, something very typical of big diesels. Some of those sound absolutely wonderful. The M30 seems to have a cam profile optimized for higher RPM (I think the torque peak is at 4400) and so idle represents a compromise. It will characteristically have a whirr-grrumph-whirr-grrumph that is very audible if you stand by it with the hood open.

I know this is probably not an adequate explanation but it's a sound that you can instantly recognize in an engine.

Regards,
Adnan

3rdE34
02-01-2008, 05:15 AM
i think harley's "lope" but maybe thats just me......

wingman
02-02-2008, 03:04 AM
I never had the valves in my M30 528i adjusted in the 10 years I owned it! Never had a problem but probably not optimum running. Didn't seem to bother the car though as it screamed.