PDA

View Full Version : Yay! I just bought an E34!

paul_burkett
01-30-2008, 06:17 AM
After starting to eat up miles on my leased MINI I decided to get a commuter/project car. I was lucky enough to fall upon a 1992 535i for sale in the area.

After reading up on bmwe34.net and this forum I figured it would be a good buy. It's a 5-speed manual with 200k miles on it. I got it for $2k but it has a few issues (first gear likes to pop out sometimes - but I'll make that a separate thread) although I think they're not too hard of a repair. I miss my old E30 325is, so it's nice to have a bimmer again. I used to think they were overrated until I actually owned one. They're so well engineered, I love the way the engine sounds and the way they smell (they do have a smell to them...)

I've attached some photos the past owner took...it's a great car...and I think she will be fun to fix up.

Ferret
01-30-2008, 06:29 AM
That's one nice looking motor!

Welcome to the club :D

Ken35i
01-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Hey man,
Welcome to the forum! That's a nice looking car; and it's a manual, great!

I'm doing/done a bit of work to my car and I was surprised how easy it was to work on. The engineers must have thought ahead and considered maintenance, unlike some manufacturers, it seems.

Ross
01-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the fold. It looks nice. The M30 engine cars are really a joy to work on.
Your trans issue might be serious. Changing for redline oil seems to be the first course of action for sick trannys, some claim success.
Can't vouch for the smell thing though.

leicesterboy15
01-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Welcome to the forum, very nice car!

There are some great guys on here, this should be your first stop for advice, theres nothing like experience!!

skr
01-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome. Looks realy good, u gotta get more pics and post them.
True about the smell, mine usualy smells like cigarettes and leather but if i don't drive it for a couple days it has a nice discrete smell, don't know exactly what it smells like but i like it...

zmuff
01-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Welcome Paul! I didn't realize the smell thing until a buddy got in with me one day and commented about how he liked the horsehair smell in older BMW's and MB's. Is there horsehair in there? 535i 5-speed...excellent choice!

Atl530i
01-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Very clean. Nice E34. That color looks great when it's in good condition.

Paul in NZ
01-30-2008, 07:34 PM
you will find that the 5 series is a different level altogether than the three series,nice looking car.The 535/manual combo is a rare combination....in more ways than one,its just right somehow....

paul_burkett
01-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Very clean. Nice E34. That color looks great when it's in good condition.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Being a manual was definitely a big selling point, I guess they're rare here in the States. Definitely a cool looking car, and I love a lot of the mods people have done to them (especially the red one on gamite.net).

bigtisas
01-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes, I like the BMW smell too. I had a 320i 20 years ago. When I bought my 525 last year, I noticed they have the same smell. Must be the BMW plastic smell.

bjmitts
01-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Welcome to the 535i Manual club ;)

Nice looking car. I'm new to this board too, just recently found it. Will be making it a regular stop though.

As for that smell, I had never been in a BMW before, but I gave a buddy a ride once, and he said his dad had an older Bimmer, and commented on how they all smell the same. So, these Bimmers must have something that makes their smell unique.

All I know is, I love my car, it's my first Bimmer, and I'm hooked for life!