PDA

View Full Version : zf4hp22 auto gearbox problem

lostitnutter
01-30-2008, 12:43 AM
im probably in the wrong place!! but i have got the bmw engine its just in the wrong car! basically i have a 1997 rangerover dse with a gearbox problem. i have had a rebuild done on the ZF 4HP22 electric and now it if perfect when cold but as soon as it gets up to normal working temperature reverse is not good at all! what happens is you select reverse and the rpm drops to around 400rpm and it sounds as if it is struggling until you let the brake off then the vehicle flys back at about 10mph without any throttle!! if you apply the brake again it goes back to struggling and the is no responce from the throttle when in reverse stationary. i have taken it back to the guy that rebuilt it and he is suggesting that its something to do with the engine managment. he has told me that he replaced the 2nd/3rd oneway clutch with the the one found in the hp24 box because is more heavy duty but he has only ever done this with hydralic hp22 before! is there a difference between the hydralic and electric??? i have had the vehicle plugged in and they say there is no problems with engine managment side of things. why would it only play up when warm?? help would be very appreciated

shogun
01-30-2008, 01:23 AM
There is a transmission forum, maybe you ask also there
http://www.europeantransmissions.com/

Ross
01-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Sounds like a torque converter issue.