PDA

View Full Version : need pics of how tow hook cover is secured in rear bumper

///Meisterbrau
01-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Last week I had to have the touring towed. Got it back today and the rear tow hook cover was hanging down and scraped to chit. I can't seem to figure out how it is supposed to be secured.
There appears to be two tabs molded into the bumper and in my case two rusty clips on the cover. Based on the shape of the clips, I can't see how they would engage the tabs. I'm wondering if the bumper tabs got broken somehow.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Scapegoat04/BMW/DSC01077-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Scapegoat04/BMW/DSC01080-1.jpg

Elekta
01-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Place the bottom hooks in first, line up the sides and the top snaps in a compression fit. If the hooks are broken you may be able to buy new ones at the stealer. You may have to tweak your metal clips a little to make it grab better. To remove, push out from behind the bumper

///Meisterbrau
01-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Place the bottom hooks in first, line up the sides and the top snaps in a compression fit. If the hooks are broken you may be able to buy new ones at the stealer. You may have to tweak your metal clips a little to make it grab better. To remove, push out from behind the bumper
Yes, I understand how it's supposed to work. Considering that the clips don't grab the tabs at all and the tabs feel like they have a rough edge to them, I am thinking that they were longer and now broken off. Maybe you can take a picture of yours so I'll know for sure. :)

AngryPopTart
01-29-2008, 12:01 PM
looks like they're just bent. The tabs probably need to be bent back upwards towards their end of the cover, but with the way they look, (rusty) I hope they don't break!

///Meisterbrau
01-29-2008, 01:12 PM
looks like they're just bent. The tabs probably need to be bent back upwards towards their end of the cover, but with the way they look, (rusty) I hope they don't break!
Too late. :( I just went out to take a better look at it and tried to bend the metal clips back. Still wouldn't engage. Bent them some more and one broke off. The tabs on the bumper are definately broken. :(