PDA

View Full Version : Heater temp

///Sniper535
01-29-2008, 12:36 AM
My car doesn't produce heat until I really accelerate the engine, like when i start driving on the highway. Also, when I drive on the city, the heat cools down until i rev the engine again. What's causing the temp loss in the climate control? Also, the blower settings 1-3 are intermittent, sometimes they work, sometimes it doesn't, or it works then it goes out and sometimes it doesn't work then it kicks on while driving. bad resistor/sword? or need to clean the controls on the other side?

shogun
01-29-2008, 01:10 AM
You have at least 2 different problems there.

1. the blower fan speed
that is controlled by the sword or by the resistor, depending on production year. See Bruno's website for details.

2. The temperature problem

That seems to be a stuck/broken thermostat in open position.

Morgenster
01-29-2008, 02:45 AM
For problem 1) heating: if the temp needle for engine coolant temp stays nicely in the middle: look at your aux waterpump instead.
For problem 2) fan: before buying a new 'sword' or resistor: check Ferret's thread about the blower control knob fix. Many have found the actual knob to be the culprit.

///Sniper535
01-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Engine temp is fine, and i also replaced the coolant, thermostat, coolant temp sensors and water pump. Not too long ago. Where do I check my aux. water pump?

About the blower, i think that is it failed I wouldn't have 1-3 working ever. They do work from time to time so i think something needs to be cleaned or adjusted. I just don't know how to do it. Haha

Morgenster
01-29-2008, 06:26 PM
aux pump is under double heater valves in engine compartment near firewall

look here (http://bmwfans.info/original/E34/Lim/535i-M30/USA/L/A/1989/04/mg-64/ill-64_0114/)

As for the fix with the knobs in the center console: look up Ferret's thread on the subject. It's a very nice how-to guide.

///Sniper535
01-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Are the workings of the climate controls all the same for every production year?

Morgenster
01-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Are the workings of the climate controls all the same for every production year?

Large parts are the same AFAIK.