PDA

View Full Version : Trans Program

bmw535i
01-28-2008, 09:41 PM
hey guys, i was recommended to ask you guys for help. I was driving to work this morning and it was cold -30 digress calculus. I started my bmw 535i 1990 for 20 minutes before leaving the house. i got a few blocks and i was driving along when all of a sudden it went out of gear and into neutral. when i accelerated the engine would rev without moving the tires. The code "Trans Program" went on the display. when i got my car home (tow truck) i checked the transmission fluid and it was really dark. I topped it off and the problem persisted. I looked in the owner's manual and it said "Electrical Shift Control Failure" If you guys have any ideas please help me out.

If the transmission needed to be rebuilt than maybe i should get a m5 motor or something.

genphreak
01-30-2008, 05:38 AM
hey guys, i was recommended to ask you guys for help. I was driving to work this morning and it was cold -30 digress calculus. I started my bmw 535i 1990 for 20 minutes before leaving the house. i got a few blocks and i was driving along when all of a sudden it went out of gear and into neutral. when i accelerated the engine would rev without moving the tires. The code "Trans Program" went on the display. when i got my car home (tow truck) i checked the transmission fluid and it was really dark. I topped it off and the problem persisted. I looked in the owner's manual and it said "Electrical Shift Control Failure" If you guys have any ideas please help me out.

If the transmission needed to be rebuilt than maybe i should get a m5 motor or something.

Usually the A-clutch is gone. If you are prepared and expereinced, taking the tranny out and replacing this with info u can find searching here makes the problem in expensive and solvable. But its hard work. Taking it somewhere inevitably costs a lot of cash. Mine are gone too, I'm buying a manual gearbox to save fuel and get better perfromance, hopefully won't get so fat either (or atleast my left leg won't)...