PDA

View Full Version : Losing coolant at an alarming rate...

Unregistered
05-20-2004, 12:36 PM
but nothing is leaking from the car, I just filled the coolant 2 days ago and its already telling me my coolant is low. I checked and it is really low, probably lost over 1/4 since filling it. Does anybody know what could be going on. Also the car tends to cut out on me when my A/C is on. Even when im moving! I was in traffic in 3rd gear and the car cut off! twice! its starting to scare me. Any insight would be appreciated. I have a '90 525i

Mr Project
05-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Well, there are only so many places coolant can go... so if it's not leaking on the ground, and not leaking onto your carpeting....it's time to check the headgasket. Better get a compression/leakdown/exhaust analysis test quick, in case you haven't warped/cracked you head yet!

Unregistered
05-20-2004, 02:26 PM
im gonna look into getting it tested, thanks

iliveinabox
05-20-2004, 07:56 PM
i had a coolant problem. i haver a 92 525i and we put a new waterpump in a new thermostat and we plushed the whole system. turns out it was the radiator cap. i would lose alot of coolant also my a/c would shut off by itself sometimes also but it doesnt now

winfred
05-20-2004, 08:07 PM
if it's pumping that much coolent you should be able to see it by looking at the spark plugs, the one that's getting the water will be cleaner then the others, through steam cleaning

mike wong
05-21-2004, 12:02 AM
that solved coolant loss on my 733.
used a cap that said "140" on it (from 88 M5).
old cap said "100"

Bill R.
05-21-2004, 12:41 AM
popoff and release the pressure to the outside dump tube is
1.00 bars.. or 14.5 psi... the 140 opened at 1.4 bars or 20.3 psi...
The newer e34's all have caps that open at 2.00 bars or 29.00 psi so the newer ones are already at a much higher pressure... Although I think that the redesigned recall caps release at a lower pressure than the 2 bars to keep the heater core from really letting go on a overheat...

that solved coolant loss on my 733.
used a cap that said "140" on it (from 88 M5).
old cap said "100"

Paul in NZ
05-21-2004, 12:47 AM
because quite often the coolant loss only takes place when the system is up to full pressure...I had a hose that was split almost its whole circumference.Only by looking really carefully did i see brightly coloured(insert blue or green here) fluid trapped in some casting relief areas....Check all your hoses by squeezing em..if you hear any hissing or slurping sounds NOT from the expansion tank area,you have found your problem but it could be the water pump too.......

Unregistered
05-21-2004, 10:40 AM
i had same problem and a pressure check by the local shop revealed a cracked head :(

Unregistered
05-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Check your engine oil for coolant mixture (brown color). One way to find out if you have a cracked or blown head gasket. Good luck...

Unregistered
05-24-2004, 12:11 PM
I dropped her off at the shop this morning, almost got a little teary eyed walking away from her as i spent the weekend making her look her best only to find a have a brake problem as well. Right after i finished washing and waxing her i took her for a drive only to find that everytime i touch the brakes i get this horrible sound of metal grinding against metal. it makes me wince everytime i hear it. Ill let you guys know whats up when i hear from the mechanic