PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump problems

nihil
01-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi,

I have an E34 from 91 equipped with a 3,0 M30 engine. I have just today replaced the fuelpump, according to the guide on bmwe34.net. Worked out just fine, the engine stalled 2 seconds after I pulled the fuse 23 that goes to the fuel pump according to my manual.

I then replaced the fuel pump, and now my car wont start! There's no sound coming from the fuel pump at all, and I've also tried to plug the wire on to the old fuel pump, and not even this makes any noise or anything at all! I have tried a new fuse, and I've tried measuring for power. Theres no power in any of the pins in the wire at the fuel pump, and I cannot measure ane power in the fuse 23 in the engine compartment. My car is also equipped with a Defa alarm with start-control if that has anything to say?

Can someone please help me out here. Rather annoying that my car suddenly won't start :(

whiskychaser
01-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Hi,

I have an E34 from 91 equipped with a 3,0 M30 engine. I have just today replaced the fuelpump, according to the guide on bmwe34.net. Worked out just fine, the engine stalled 2 seconds after I pulled the fuse 23 that goes to the fuel pump according to my manual.

I then replaced the fuel pump, and now my car wont start! There's no sound coming from the fuel pump at all, and I've also tried to plug the wire on to the old fuel pump, and not even this makes any noise or anything at all! I have tried a new fuse, and I've tried measuring for power. Theres no power in any of the pins in the wire at the fuel pump, and I cannot measure ane power in the fuse 23 in the engine compartment. My car is also equipped with a Defa alarm with start-control if that has anything to say?

Can someone please help me out here. Rather annoying that my car suddenly won't start :(
Bet you are pissed off:) The fuel pump only runs when you crank the engine or its running. If it wasnt doing either when you checked I wouldnt expect it to be powered. If you jumper the fuel pump relay with the engine off, the pump should run. You should have @51psi fuel pressure with the engine off and the pump running. It should still be 51psi 20 mins after you pull the jumper. However, I know SFA about Defa or start control

pingu
01-26-2008, 06:52 PM
If fuse 23 was a tight fit, and a squeeze to re-insert after you'd changed over the pumps, I wonder if you might have snagged one of the fuse connections when re-inserting the fuse. Unlikely but it seems that it's got be something silly or simple. Have you tried connecting 12V directly to the new pump at the fuel tank to see if the new pump makes a sound?

nihil
02-01-2008, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Anyway, I found out that my brand new fuel pump did not work, so I replaced it with the old one. Have to go find another one then...

Dave M
02-01-2008, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Anyway, I found out that my brand new fuel pump did not work, so I replaced it with the old one. Have to go find another one then...

Thats a bummer. Out of curiosity, where did you get the pump?