PDA

View Full Version : Doors unlocking after locking with the key.

bad_manners_god
01-26-2008, 01:35 AM
Just a quick question here.

When I lock my doors from the outside with the key, they unlock a second later, but if I wait for the them to unlock and then re-lock them in the same fashion, they stay locked but make a sound as if it locked again. (Ex: when your doors are locked and press lock again, that click you hear.)

Just wondering if thats normal or is it a sign of something beginning to fail?

Car Specs: No Remote Unlock/Lock or Remote Start.

shogun
01-26-2008, 02:27 AM
That is a warning to you from the general module that it has no feedback from one or more microswitches of the locking system that the locking or unlocking procedure has been completed.
On later GM's this feature was eliminated, if you call it a feature.
So check the microswitches.
Johan has a good write-up on this on his website, link on my site below.

uscharalph
01-26-2008, 02:54 AM
I believe it means you may have a problem with one of the locks.

Ferret
01-26-2008, 04:58 AM
Agree with the other two; though first place to start on the tourer is always the rear hatch... it's most likely to be causing all the trouble.

artguy
01-26-2008, 11:54 AM
My 530i does that too.
I found that it is my trunk lock. If I turn it all the way to the right (dead bolt setting) then the rest of the locks work fine. If I have opened and closed the trunk and forget to "dead bolt it" then my door locks lock...unlock.

It's about as fun as those candles you can't blow out...

CanuckGold
01-26-2008, 01:34 PM
My 530i does that too.
I found that it is my trunk lock. If I turn it all the way to the right (dead bolt setting) then the rest of the locks work fine. If I have opened and closed the trunk and forget to "dead bolt it" then my door locks lock...unlock.

It's about as fun as those candles you can't blow out...

My 540i started doing that recently as well, using either the key or the remote. I also found it was my trunk lock, which was sticking when being turned to the right with the key. After lubricating the lock, the problem went away.

CG :)

Robert K
01-26-2008, 03:14 PM
I had that same thing happen on my 1991 535i a few years ago. Somebody told me to check the area around the left trunk hinge where all of the wires are that go the trunk lock, license plate lights, etc. Sure enough, all of the opening and closing them over the years had freyed quite a few of them. I cut out the bad sections, spliced in new wire, and didn't have any problems after that. If that's not your problem, then you've probably got a lock mechanism that's about shot. Hope this helps.

Robert K
1991 535i

CharlesAFerg
01-26-2008, 05:22 PM
if my trunk lock is unlocked and i lock the car, all the locks will pop back up - but if i repeat - they will all lack and stay down.

I thought it was a safety feature, someone mentioned it on here before.

Robert K
01-27-2008, 02:00 PM
Mine did the exact same thing before I repaired the frayed wires. After that, it never happened again. Have you checked your wires at the hinge area yet? If not, I'm telling you from experience that there is a high probability that this could be the problem.

Robert K
1991 535i

bad_manners_god
01-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Mine did the exact same thing before I repaired the frayed wires. After that, it never happened again. Have you checked your wires at the hinge area yet? If not, I'm telling you from experience that there is a high probability that this could be the problem.

Robert K
1991 535i

I'll check it out, I know I had a problem with frayed wires for the thrid brake light so I repaired those.

The door-locking problem just started one day and has been like that since so I figured I might as well ask about it.

pcross
01-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Shogun is right on the money on this. One of the microswitches is not being read as "closed" by the computer. I had the exact same problem of locking and an immmediate unlock. Here's what I found: I visually checked the microswitch in my driver's door (1994 525i) and saw that the constant opening and closing of the door over the years had worn down the contact bar on the switch. It's very easy to see if you eyeball it close in good light. As a temporary fix (which really has become permanent - I'm lazy), I cut a strip from an old, thin plastic card, slipped it over the switch bar and taped it into place. Now when I close the door, the microswitch closes fully and the problem is gone. Observe the driver's door first. It gets the most open/close action over the years.

bad_manners_god
01-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Shogun is right on the money on this. One of the microswitches is not being read as "closed" by the computer. I had the exact same problem of locking and an immmediate unlock. Here's what I found: I visually checked the microswitch in my driver's door (1994 525i) and saw that the constant opening and closing of the door over the years had worn down the contact bar on the switch. It's very easy to see if you eyeball it close in good light. As a temporary fix (which really has become permanent - I'm lazy), I cut a strip from an old, thin plastic card, slipped it over the switch bar and taped it into place. Now when I close the door, the microswitch closes fully and the problem is gone. Observe the driver's door first. It gets the most open/close action over the years.

I'll check the hatch since its alot easier and seems to be the source of many problems, if theres nothing at the hatch then I'll look into the driver side door.

bad_manners_god
01-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Opened up the rear harness today....About 5 wires that we're cut in 2 and about 20 with the wires showing.

Replaced/Repaired them....doors still unlocking....oh well, its ok i guess.

Russell
01-28-2008, 08:02 PM
May have a bad/sticking door actuator. My pasenger door causes that issue when colder than 35 to 40 degrees. Been doing it for the past 3 winters. Of course when spring comes it is forgotten. :)

karl1171
02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Check the fuses for the locking under the rear seat: I can't remember which one it is as there are about 3 or 4 involved in the central locking.

I had these symptoms and it turned out one of these fuses had blown - Admittedly it was me that caused it to blow while fitting Keyless entry system!

timandbim
02-01-2008, 12:03 PM
all my door locking problems went away after i (you guessed it) wd40d all of my door latches... that's all i know. i've got to get off this stuff.