PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this forum!

ACir
05-20-2004, 11:52 AM
Someone posts a legitimate request for help with overheating engine condition and gets 1 reply in 3 days - thanks. Another posts a stupid joke and gets 17 in one morning. :(

Dick Schneiders
05-20-2004, 12:20 PM
jokes that overheating engines. Also, it is more likely that the majority of us are qualified to discuss a stupid joke rather than something much more complex like an overheating engine.

I don't remember your question, but try again and give as much information as you can. This is a very good forum, but there is some responsibility on the person asking questions to be thorough in their question.

I went back and looked and I counted 4 or 5 responses to your question, not one.

Someone posts a legitimate request for help with overheating engine condition and gets 1 reply in 3 days - thanks. Another posts a stupid joke and gets 17 in one morning. :(

KurtM
05-20-2004, 12:30 PM
did you hear the one about the 2 guys ........

billb
05-20-2004, 12:31 PM

Many folks with M50s have had some sort of overheating at one point or another (myself included). Here are some of my thoughts:
Make SURE everything is ship-shape. Are you SURE your water pump doesn't have a plastic impeller, and is slipping on its shaft? Even some replacement pumps had plastic impellers.
Is your radiator cap good and snug?
Are you blowing any bubbles in the radiator when the engine is running (headgasket)?
Fan clutch recent?
Radiator clean (not just new, but clean, outside and in?)
Auxiliary fan working when the A/C is on, or when temp gets high?
Blockage in any coolant passages/hoses/heater core (of course, you say it cools off when you turn on the heat)?
Antifreeze/water mixture at 50:50?
Have you tried RedLine Water Wetter (improves thermal conductivity, raises boiling point a tad)?
Fan belt tight enough?

And remember, most of us are NOT certified mechanics, and we only offer suggestions for help. If you're truly concerned, TAKE IT TO YOUR INDY!! I would if it were something serious like chronic overheating...

Bill B.

BigD
05-20-2004, 01:53 PM
One of life's little rules: never gripe about the quality or quantity of free help. Want your answer right away, go to the dealer and pay their hourly rate.