PDA

View Full Version : 1994 E34 525i brake light warning stays on

pcross
01-25-2008, 04:58 PM
This is more of a nuisance than anything else, but a correctable one I hope. When I start my car and step on the brake, a message appears, "+1 brake light". It won't go off no matter what. I have checked my brake lights time after time and all three (incl. the one in the rear window) work just fine all of the time. Any ideas? Thanks

Podmore
01-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Check that all your bulbs have matching wattage (10W I think). Check to make sure all bulbs contact fully (you may still have all three working but one may be a little dimmer - this one has poor contact = high resistance = brake light warning. I had the same in mine a few months ago, started with one blown globe. I replaced them all before I figured out the problem.

pcross
01-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Podmore........Sounds very logical to me. I'll replace all of the bulbs with new ones and replace them (after I have cleaned the contacts) using electrical contact grease. I'll bet you're right. I'll let you know via a follow-up post.

attack eagle
01-25-2008, 06:10 PM
if that isn't it, then replacing the switch usually corrects the issue

pcross
01-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks, Podmore.......Replacing the bulbs worked. One of them had a different wattage rating than the others. You were right on. Didn't get as far as Attack Eagle's recommendation, but that would have been my next step. Thanks all. :)