PDA

View Full Version : Help me make an decision! Hours count!!

BFEINZIMER
01-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Ok so I'm heading up with the family to Lake Arrowhead, CA this weekend. Chains reqired everywhere up there now. I got ABS but no TC and I'm on 3 Nitto 460's and 1 Michellen...but then again I got HID's vs my dad's 2003 Honda Oddsey. I wanna take the 535 for the drive but I don't wanna end up losing my car to some accident :( So any winter driving tips and what do you guys think about my situation? (BTW I might need the back seat for a "late night meeting" so factor that in) ;)

BTW my drive home in the rain was crazy tonight its pouring out here. I hit my fair share of puddles and could feels the tires seemingly come off the pavement??? This weird thing happened though. Earlier I and my compadre were umm fogging up the windows for a good 2 hours. But then I could not get the windshield to completely de-frost for awhile, must have been at least 5 minutes, on full settings, with warm (not hot) air coming out of the front vents....WTF???'

THANKS GUYS!

Ross
01-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Does your air conditioner work? I'm guessing not because it took so long to clear the windows. The a/c also dehumidifies the air when the defroster is on.
You did indeed feel the tires leave the ground in those puddles, hydroplaning it's called. It happens when the tires ability to displace the water is exceeded, slow until grip is restored.
Anyplace that requires chains is no place for summer tires, with or without the chains. Take the Honda where you'll have a way bigger cabin to fog up.

Jehu
01-25-2008, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't do it. Unless you have chains... Steep hills ? Never make it.. either way up or down. You come around a steep downhill curving road on snow pack with regular tires forget it, RIP.

BFEINZIMER
01-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Hmm well last time I had to use the defroster it worked well (can't rememebr how long) but the AC works fairly ok lol it nees a recharge...

And the back of the van is no good my dad always has his **** back there (and this girl has allready seen back of the e34, and from the sounds she made last time, she loved the soft leather and reverse seatbelts) ;P

BTW route and road conditins:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=6956495728433896666,34.265810,-117.185414&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=La+Mirada,+CA+90638&daddr=850+Willow+Creek+Rd,+Lake+Arrowhead,+CA+9235 2+(UCLA+Conference+Center)&sll=34.255372,-117.202663&sspn=0.057038,0.160675&ie=UTF8&z=10&om=0

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi?roadnumber=18+330+138+173?fips=0606434

BFEINZIMER
01-25-2008, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't do it. Unless you have chains... Steep hills ? Never make it.. either way up or down. You come around a steep downhill curving road on snow pack with regular tires forget it, RIP.

Chains are required. Check out the links I just posted. OK Ima get some shuteye. Thanks for the replies n keep em coming! :)

repenttokyo
01-25-2008, 09:46 AM
5 minutes isn't really that long, in the cold it takes me much longer to defrost the windshield, doesn't seem that unusual to me.

BFEINZIMER
01-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Usually I'd say 2 or less..

5 minutes isn't really that long, in the cold it takes me much longer to defrost the windshield, doesn't seem that unusual to me.

BFEINZIMER
01-25-2008, 09:59 AM

Usually I'd say 2 or less....tonight took forever, I was really freaked out...

bsell
01-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Usually I'd say 2 or less....tonight took forever, I was really freaked out...

That's what you get for making her breath so heavy...:D

Hopefully she won't be breathing heavy in a delivery room in nine months.;)

No Glove, No Love,

Brian

BFEINZIMER
01-25-2008, 12:23 PM
That's what you get for making her breath so heavy...:D

Hopefully she won't be breathing heavy in a delivery room in nine months.;)

No Glove, No Love,

Brian

WHat a horrible joke ;) lol

I just saw the other thread about winter, I don't think I'll be taking my beloved E34. Her if theres a will theres a way (indoor hot tubs ;P)

Tiger
01-25-2008, 12:54 PM
You told me two things...

1. Your tires sucks in rain due to hydroplaning... either you are driving at high speed or your tire tread depth is halfway or less. How do you think it will perform in snow? Worse... far worse.

2. For defrost, you need to flick defrost open... fan in 3 or higher for faster job... AC must be ON... recirculator must be OFF.

Tiger
01-25-2008, 12:56 PM

1. Your tires sucks in rain due to hydroplaning... either you are driving at high speed or your tire tread depth is halfway or less. How do you think it will perform in snow? Worse... far worse.

2. For defrost, you need to flick defrost open... fan in 3 or higher for faster job... AC must be ON... recirculator must be OFF.

Tiger

repenttokyo
01-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Usually I'd say 2 or less..

in my climate, it can be as much as ten, sometimes more.

BFEINZIMER
01-25-2008, 04:13 PM

Tiger

I was actually going between 40 and 50 and I was feeling it at 40 but my tires are at LEAST 50%..I'll measure when I get back home...

And that must have been my error, I had the AC off and the recerc ON, but I tried with them both off and it still blew nuts...I had it on both dials full heat and fan 4 like the little picture but then alternated 3 and 4....it seems to warm the air faster on 3...? And what do you mean flick defroster open?

BTW, were takin the Honda..

Venus4NU
01-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Don't risk it. Hotels are cheaper for the late night meetings than the body repair would be.

Ross
01-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Now, if you had a touring with snow tires.....YEEE HA

attack eagle
01-25-2008, 10:15 PM
And the back of the van is no good my dad always has his **** back there (and this girl has allready seen back of the e34, and from the sounds she made last time, she loved the soft leather and reverse seatbelts) ;P

Pics of girl??? J/k

Buy a touring. fold down the seats and almost the same size as a single bed to play around in, under the stars.

;)

I wouldn't take my car anywhere near the white stuff if I could avoid it. nookie or not.

BMWDriver
01-25-2008, 11:39 PM
If you had four season tires, it would not be so bad. But summer tires is really asking for trouble in the snow. The wheels in the back are likely to spin easily and you would have a very hard time turning a corner, likely understeer. You would have to be extra slow for a turn, and you would have to stop way ahead of normal. You already have to sort of do that WITH winter tires when it snows.

Not sure chains can make up for it, it's just not my experience using any.

Whichever it is, just feel your way. If it starts to slip, let go of the gas BEFORE TOUCHING THE BRAKES. Braking could possibly worsen things especially in a turn. Downshifting in low revs could help. Pump the brakes if you don't have ABS. Brake hard if you do, but I've had a lock up at slow speeds, which is normal methinks.

Shift low and quick too, this avoids spinning. You can put your automatic on 2 to override 1st gear, I believe (it's been a long time since I tried an automatic so I don't accurately remember). But once at a certain speed, you can accelerate without much trouble.

A bus driver once said about driving on the highway in thick snow: "Braking will get you into trouble. The minute people touch their brakes, all hell breaks loose." It's somewhat accurate. Momentum is the key factor in snow because of how slippery it may get. Wheels that don't spin are just skiing on the road out of control.

The key is to stay calm as much as possible and feel the car. We men are good with that with all the physical fooling around we did as kids.

Safe trip to you!

Tiger
01-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Good call on the Honda minivan. I meant defroster vent open... but that's a no brainer...

At 40 or 50 with hydroplaning is easy on any all season tires. Only summer high performance tires would be less affected.

In damp weather, recirculator must be off regardless of anything... Otherwise just crack your window a tiny bit open. Humidity in car will be much higher than outside so that is why it fogs up inside. AC compressor must be on to dry the air faster. Cold evaporator collects lots of water... exactly like dehumidifier.