PDA

View Full Version : M60 oil pump bolt experiences

Rusty Bavaria
01-24-2008, 10:32 AM
So after realizing it's been awhile since I changed my oil I set out last night to change my oil and drop the oil pan and check the oil pan mounting bolts.

I used this excellent write-up:
http://members.cox.net/revhigh/Oil%20pump%20bolt%20check%20V8.pdf

But anyway that's all been covered on here before, so I'll talk about my own experience.

Drive home in the snow, pull the car in the garage and turn on the heat, this is going to be one messy project. Jack up the car, drain the oil, I look at the pan and notice that it has one of the 23 bolts missing...ok now I know where my oil leak is coming from. Take off the pan, it has the newer style gasket so someone has been in here before me I find not one but two bolts in the bottom of the pan, and there is no plastic oil pump cover on the pump. I look at the bolts and they aren't the ones that hold the oil pump to the block, so I shine the light around and can't find where they go so I go back the the pump mounting bolts. They are all pretty lose so I locktight and torque them all. I'm on the last one (the one in back and I drop the nut...and I can't find it anywhere.

I'm swearing and really pissed at this point and I shine my light up into the back of the oil pump and realize that the bolts in the back of the oil pump are all backing out! The two I found in the pan were from that back cover. So I retighten all the bolts and put the two back in, they were all only finger tight at best, and then proceed to put everything back together and replace both the oil pump nut that I lost and the missing oil pan bolt with parts from my Bavaria.

You can see the bolts in the diagram, though they are not marked (on the back of the pump) http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=11_1243&hg=11&fg=30

Another thing to check while in there, just wanted to pass it on.

Jim

Ferret
01-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Your first link is bad mate!

Dave M
01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Sounds like you got wee bit lucky there :D Thanks for the info.

Dave M

Rusty Bavaria
01-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Changed it should work now, and yes I was very lucky.

artguy
01-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the info. I have the PDF saved for future ref.