PDA

View Full Version : tell me about tuning the 533i

AngryPopTart
01-23-2008, 10:53 PM
So... long story short, my brother had an '84 533i, which he accidentally smashed into a guard-rail, and now it needs to be pulled. But the car was really fast. My book says they were 181hp/195lbft factory. It's also a stick. My Paps was about ready to sell it off with a 528e for next to nothing, and I said "HAIL NAH!" I told him there's definitely a demand for the 533i. I don't mind selling it, but I wanna get it back on the road, first. I don't care for sticks, but I'd drive it for a bit.

Now, realistically, apart from fixing it, I don't want to sink huge money into upgrades, but what are some cheap things for just getting the 533i into good shape. I would naturally do a full tune-up on it, but if there are any little things which can be changed to get it that little bit closer to 200hp, I'd probably go for it.

AngryPopTart
06-27-2008, 01:03 PM
Hey, comon! I've been waiting a long time for an answer. :) Am I wasting my time with this car? Should I just use it's drivetrain for a rat rod? keke!

Ross
06-28-2008, 10:13 AM
A wrecked '84 e28 has little value. It's components are worth more. Even though the 3.3 ain't the largest M30, it's still an M30 with a gearbox that would be saleable to someone looking to do a swap. I believe it's flywheel to bo somewhat coveted by those with the dual mass version.

winfred
06-28-2008, 07:46 PM
they ain't too bad i think the only chip option is a mark D chip for that old computer system but other then that a free flowing exhaust may pep it up a little

genphreak
06-30-2008, 08:14 AM
The M30B33 is the best motor to turbocharge... at least the cam is the best :) It is low comp, so if you can get a 745i setup, run it with a Megasquirt... that'd be a rocket that'd beat an M60- esp. in an e28.

And its a classic- don't listen to anyone tell ya it ain't worth it, she'd be a classic if you can fix her up nicely...