PDA

View Full Version : E36 wheel stuck on hub

Dash01
01-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Removed all lug bolts and wheel is still stuck tightly on hub. Shaking and pulling it has no apparent effect. The center of the wheel has a plastic BMW emblem, so if I heat the wheel with a propane torch, it will destroy the paint and the plastic emblem, too.

How best to remove the wheel from the hub without buggering wheel or hub?

(I posted this on the 3 series forum, but apparently nobody surfs there.)

bad_manners_god
01-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Removed all lug bolts and wheel is still stuck tightly on hub. Shaking and pulling it has no apparent effect. The center of the wheel has a plastic BMW emblem, so if I heat the wheel with a propane torch, it will destroy the paint and the plastic emblem, too.

How best to remove the wheel from the hub without buggering wheel or hub?

(I posted this on the 3 series forum, but apparently nobody surfs there.)

Put 1 bolt back on loosely, 4-5 turns with your hand. Take a Rag and bunch it up so it acts as a cushion and place it on the inside of your rim and hit it a couple times with a large hammer.

The bolt is to stop the wheel from flying off ones it comes loose.

Once the wheel is off, clean both the hub surface and the part of the rim that sits on the hub, lubricate when you put it back.

Ross
01-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Some will tell you letting the cars weight down on it will break it loose, I say a good bash with a ball bat or sledge hammer to the inside of the rim.
A film of anti-seize paste on the hub will prevent the galvanic corrosion that makes 'em stick.

attack eagle
01-24-2008, 02:27 AM
I wipe a thin film of bearing grease on.
ne'er any problems

you can see my solution in your original post.

whiskychaser
01-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Jack car up and put on stand. Remove wheel bolts. Put on your work boots. Lie on your side and 'back heel' inside bottom of tyre. Rotate tyre and try again if it fails but I doubt it will. Safety tip: dont kick it unless you fancy a week or two off work:)