PDA

View Full Version : New to the E34, need some plugs identified.

535Nick
01-23-2008, 05:06 PM
This is my first E34 and so far I love it. Much nicer and more powerful than the E30's I had previously.

However it's kind of a fixer-upper.

As I started messing with the dash and fixing it I've found a couple plugs that I cannot fully identify.

The first one is an 8-pin socket that has to do with the Head Unit for the stereo. I have no clue where it goes and it does not plug into the OE HU - Mine is a 1990 535i and has the goofy common-ground speaker system.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/nbeckius/E34/8pin.jpg

The second is a small 2-pin plug. I have no clue on this one, it goes up and enters the harness near the top of the dash.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/nbeckius/E34/2pin.jpg

Any help on where these plug in would be fantastic.

Also, this is a great website. I would've never figured out the common-ground HU setup on my own.

Jon K
01-23-2008, 05:26 PM
I had my dash out recently and had that 2 connector thing loose I think its for something my car does not have - maybe it would have gone to the iR receiver for keyless entry, dunno.

The other one looks like the guy that goes to either the fog light switch or the AC controls (i moved mine to the same location so I get confused).

Jehu
01-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Maybe the car phone?

Paul in NZ
01-23-2008, 07:29 PM
there will be many unused plugs....you could option a 5 to the hilt

Ross
01-24-2008, 09:08 AM
This looks like the connector for the fader control on an E30.
Does your car have a seperate fader? Do any E34s have this?
Fill out your profile nick. It's tough to answer questions when we dont know what car you have, what market it's made for and how it's equipped.

535Nick
01-24-2008, 11:19 AM
I thought the 2-pin may be for the cell-phone or some other option I don't have.

The 8-pin is what has me more interested since the Head-unit speaker wires go directly to it.

The more I look at the wiring the more I think I am just going to have to re-wire the whole car audio system. The PO hacked it up a lot.

timandbim
01-24-2008, 02:07 PM
I thought the 2-pin may be for the cell-phone or some other option I don't have.

The 8-pin is what has me more interested since the Head-unit speaker wires go directly to it.

The more I look at the wiring the more I think I am just going to have to re-wire the whole car audio system. The PO hacked it up a lot.

here is a photo of my wiring while i was doing a job similar to your po's. there are so many different wiring schematics for the various stereos it took me forever to find the right one. in my case the 8-pin connector was for (some not all of) the speaker leads that run to the amp in the trunk. same colours as yours i think... i kept some stuff - i can dig around for some more info if you think it will help.

535Nick
01-25-2008, 01:54 AM
here is a photo of my wiring while i was doing a job similar to your po's. there are so many different wiring schematics for the various stereos it took me forever to find the right one. in my case the 8-pin connector was for (some not all of) the speaker leads that run to the amp in the trunk. same colours as yours i think... i kept some stuff - i can dig around for some more info if you think it will help.

That would be great. that is exactly what mine is. the plug looks like it should hook up to another that goes to the amp. But I cannot find the wiring or anything for the amp anywhere. I think it may have been removed.

Also I found the CD player connector in the dash, but can't find it in the trunk.

I only have the original amp. the HU and CD player are gone and the amp was just lying in the trunk.

Anyways, if you can find those schematics I'd be greatful

Paul in NZ
01-25-2008, 02:10 AM
mine has a fader control but it doesnt do anything,look to the lower left of the steering wheel http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/int.jpg

Ross
01-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Nick,
Post all the wire colors on that connector(s), I'll look at the diagram and try to figure this out for you.
Do you have the fader control???

timandbim
01-25-2008, 01:35 PM
check behind the panels in the trunk for your amp connectors (start behind the taillight ds). you probably want to use it as the crossovers for the speakers are in it, also it connects to the anntenna. have you been to the e34net site (http://www.bmwe34.net/)?

attack eagle
01-25-2008, 10:20 PM
isn't the two pin a spare illumination connector?