PDA

View Full Version : E36 wheel stuck on hub

Dash01
01-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Removed all lug bolts and wheel is still stuck tightly on hub. Shaking and pulling it has no apparent effect. The center of the wheel has a plastic BMW emblem, so if I heat the wheel with a propane torch, it will destroy the paint and the plastic emblem, too.

How best to remove the wheel from the hub?

John in VA
01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Use a long wooden 2x4 (and possibly a hammer - mini sledge?) and whack the backside of the tire. Once it's off, be sure to use some anti-seize around the hub & wheel center bore so it doesn't happen again.

attack eagle
01-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Put the bolts back in but do not torque them.
Let teh car down, and
very carefully makes a couple of full lock very low speed turns. Should break the wheel free.

If it is a front wheel merely turning the wheel back and forth with the nuts loose while moving back and forth a few feet will probably do it.

bmwe36
03-09-2008, 10:04 PM
The problem is that the hub is acually pressed on to the shaft of the hub were u toke the big 32mm nut off ....so i think........so u need a hub puller to pull it out if not ...u need to hammer it out with an air hammer or if u prefer the manual laber the with ur manual hamer ur choice and ya little bit of heat would help in removing it ...but i tell u man its not an easy job ...thwey sale the bearing by it self...without the hub when i knew that i thought it would be easy but i dont think so .....so if u know a good mechanic let him do it he got the tool and in couple houres u should be on ur way........best of luck brother
cheers

Removed all lug bolts and wheel is still stuck tightly on hub. Shaking and pulling it has no apparent effect. The center of the wheel has a plastic BMW emblem, so if I heat the wheel with a propane torch, it will destroy the paint and the plastic emblem, too.

How best to remove the wheel from the hub?

winfred
03-09-2008, 10:12 PM
if you take the hub off you will still need to get the hub out of the rim and you will now need a new hub as the bearings will be destroyed, take a few feet long piece of lumber and wack the **** out of the back side of the rim with the end like you are throwing a spear, works every time with in a couple wacks

shadowpuck
06-22-2008, 11:30 PM
agreed - used the hammer and lumber trick many times....

i've heard the turn slow method with car on the ground mentioned above; i'll try that one next time!