PDA

View Full Version : Another PPPP/OBC question...

MTechnik540i
01-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Alright, well the 540i was visiting the body shop for a few days and now the OBC reads PPPP and the headunit is not functional and doesn't illuminate.

I've visited this website... http://home.iae.nl/users/bts/obc.htm ...and am reading #21 regarding the PPPP error and it says:

S/R to activate, be carefull !
Selecting this function performs the reset. Note: The "PROM" values won't be reset.

...Well, anytime I hold S/R it just gongs and instrument cluster reads "Check Control". That's pretty much it though, it's not changing anything else.

Does anybody have any tips/suggestions on what I'm doing wrong. Much appreciated!

shogun
01-22-2008, 12:22 AM
did you reset time and date in case they disconnected the battery?
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_35.htm

uscharalph
01-22-2008, 01:40 AM
Isn't it just asking you to reset the date and time?

MTechnik540i
01-22-2008, 01:39 PM
did you reset time and date in case they disconnected the battery?
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_35.htm

Nope, I'm unable to input anything into the OBC. The only button that actually functions is the S/R button, and once that is pressed a gong sounds and "CHECK CONTROL" is displayed on the instrument cluster. I removed the CCM and fuse #1 last night to no avail, and I also pulled out (but did not disconnect) the head unit and the OBC. I have heard a few people say that replacing the coding plug (behind instrument cluster, ~$155) fixes the problem, but I'd rather not go that route. I confirmed with the body shop today and the battery was not jumped, further puzzling me as to why this occured. In case anyone's wondering, we've got an OBC IV (does not have small, recessed pinhole). Any help is appreciated, looking forward to getting some music back.

MTechnik540i
01-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Isn't it just asking you to reset the date and time?

Nope...It's just reading PPPP

kesslerbmw
01-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Did they have the cluster out for any reason?

Could easily have a loose connection at the cluster. One of my cars had that for a while. One of the old skool local BMW guys in the local club mentioned he had that problem before on an e32 and it was the plug. Its worth a shot.

MTechnik540i
01-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Did they have the cluster out for any reason?

Could easily have a loose connection at the cluster. One of my cars had that for a while. One of the old skool local BMW guys in the local club mentioned he had that problem before on an e32 and it was the plug. Its worth a shot.

The cluster was not removed. Do these coding plugs go bad at any random time, or would something (jumping the battery, leaving an interior lamp on for an extended period of time, etc.) have to be done to affect it?

MTechnik540i
01-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Victory! Problem fixed! Ends up, it was fuse #35 under the back seat. Somehow, I forgot to look under the backseat.

Anyway, thanks for the help fellows!

Alright, well the 540i was visiting the body shop for a few days and now the OBC reads PPPP and the headunit is not functional and doesn't illuminate.

I've visited this website... http://home.iae.nl/users/bts/obc.htm ...and am reading #21 regarding the PPPP error and it says:

S/R to activate, be carefull !
Selecting this function performs the reset. Note: The "PROM" values won't be reset.

...Well, anytime I hold S/R it just gongs and instrument cluster reads "Check Control". That's pretty much it though, it's not changing anything else.

Does anybody have any tips/suggestions on what I'm doing wrong. Much appreciated!

Paul in NZ
01-25-2008, 01:54 AM
pray tell what does #35 protect

myles
01-25-2008, 02:09 AM
pray tell what does #35 protect

On a 94 540 - Rear defogger
On a 95 540 - Rear defogger and DWA module - the problem car must be a 95
On an 89 535 - no such fuse

Paul in NZ
01-25-2008, 02:13 AM
On a 94 540 - Rear defogger
On a 95 540 - Rear defogger and DWA module - the problem car must be a 95
On an 89 535 - no such fuse
aha thats why i couldnt tell!

MTechnik540i
01-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Victory! Problem fixed! Ends up, it was fuse #35 under the back seat. Somehow, I forgot to look under the backseat.

Anyway, thanks for the help fellows!

Whoops! I meant fuse #36.