PDA

View Full Version : Headlight alignment from left-hand drive to right-hand drive

frank k
01-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi from Ireland where we drive on the left side of the road! I have however a 525 built in 1995 used originally in Germany with left-hand drive and lights set up for driving on the right side of the road. On the 1996 model there is a way of changing the lights from left to right-hand drive by moving a lever at the back of the headlight but I cant see such a lever on my 1995 model. Does anyone know if it is possible to do this adjustment without sticking a correction spot on the front of the headlight?

pundit
01-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi from Ireland where we drive on the left side of the road! I have however a 525 built in 1995 used originally in Germany with left-hand drive and lights set up for driving on the right side of the road. On the 1996 model there is a way of changing the lights from left to right-hand drive by moving a lever at the back of the headlight but I cant see such a lever on my 1995 model. Does anyone know if it is possible to do this adjustment without sticking a correction spot on the front of the headlight?
If you look closely at the lens and see that the focusing pattern on the glass is asymmetrical then they are designed specifically for either L/H/D or R/H/D but not both.
If that is the case then you will have to change the headlights themselves.
Conventional L/H/D and R/H/D headlight lenses are different in the way they focus the light.

NielsGalan
01-21-2008, 05:26 PM
It's a 5 minute operation.

Open hood.
Find lowbeams.
Locate 3 screws on back of lowbeams. Hole for screw is a "slot" which allows the lamp to rotate when screws are loose.
Loosen screws.
Rotate lamp to "other angle".
Tighten screws.
Close hood.
Use other side of road.

NielsGalan
01-21-2008, 05:29 PM
If you look closely at the lens and see that the focusing pattern on the glass is asymmetrical then they are designed specifically for either L/H/D or R/H/D but not both.
If that is the case then you will have to change the headlights themselves.
Conventional L/H/D and R/H/D headlight lenses are different in the way they focus the light.

Rotating lights only rotates cutoff and bulb. Not the lens.

genphreak
01-21-2008, 05:30 PM
It's a 5 minute operation.

Open hood.
Find lowbeams.
Locate 3 screws on back of lowbeams. Hole for screw is a "slot" which allows the lamp to rotate when screws are loose.
Loosen screws.
Rotate lamp to "other angle".
Tighten screws.
Close hood.
Use other side of road.Ahem, not if Pundit's right it isn't.

For every one I have seen the lenses are different so total change is necessary.

myles
01-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Ahem, not if Pundit's right it isn't.

For every one I have seen the lenses are different so total change is necessary.

On both of my e34s the lights can be adjusted exactly as NielsGalan described.

For left side of the road the light pattern is \___\___ and can be adjusted for the right to ___/___/

No parts need to be replaced.

NielsGalan
01-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Off course, I'm assuming we're talking E34 here, right?

shogun
01-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Off course, I'm assuming we're talking E34 here, right?
and E32, both have same headlights.
Instruction is in the ENGLISH owners manual. You can use the one I have on my site below from the 1988 E32.
Probably U.S. version owners manuals do not have this info, as never used.
Also other European language owners manuals have it like German, Italian, French, etc

bsell
01-22-2008, 11:39 AM
On both of my e34s the lights can be adjusted exactly as NielsGalan described.

For left side of the road the light pattern is \___\___ and can be adjusted for the right to ___/___/

No parts need to be replaced.

This didn't work on my 'Japanese-spec' Depo angel-eyes even though they had the screws and all that to turn the spray.

I just spent Saturday afternoon-evening swaping to Euro-smilies. What a difference! I knew the Depo's were kinda dim but the Euro's make the old lights suitable for Helen Keller only!

Brian

frank k
01-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the ideas, I really appreciate them. Im going to try NielsGalen's solution and will tell you how it goes. Great Forum.