PDA

View Full Version : Radiator - whats in a number?

whiskychaser
01-20-2008, 03:57 PM
This has got to be a familiar story. You have replaced the water pump, stat, belts and tensioners and the radiator starts to drip. Ok, so I go to realoem and get the part number 17111719164. Only my 'supplier' never heard of it. If I key in my car's spec (not the VIN) and cheat saying its euro spec, I get 17111719305. Even for tropical climes/australia its still not right-thats a 309 or something. Mine was S Africa spec. So to my question - whats the difference? Its important to me but as this such a boring question I'm thinking of offering a reward to anyone who really knows the answer

vince
01-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Where is the radiator dripping from? There are two o-rings on the white plastic side canister that are known to leak and make it look like the rad is leaking. I am not familiar with the variation in part numbers, so I cannot help there.

vince

Dave M
01-20-2008, 08:02 PM
What is the build date of your car?

Assuming auto and keying in a 10 / 91 build date (no reason) and "european", I get the following three options (actually two part #s).

RADIATOR WITH TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER A=440MM 1 UP TO 09/1992

17111719305 $436.36

FOR VEHICLES WITH NATIONAL VERSION AUATRALIA OR TROPICAL VERSION

RADIATOR WITH TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER A=520MM 1 UP TO 09/1992

17111719309 $547.96

FOR VEHICLES WITH AIR CONDITIONING OR AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING

RADIATOR WITH TRANSMISSION OIL COOLER A=520MM 1 UP TO 09/1992

17111719309 $547.96

If I were to guess, and I'm about to :D, I'd say the dimensions listed (440 mm or 520 mm) may be the coolant hose diameters and, hence, the difference???????

Anyhow, that wasn't boring ;)

Dave M

Dave M
01-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Just realized your build date is 02/92 (from profile) and got the same results. Wondering how I didn't get the 17111719164 part #.

whiskychaser
01-21-2008, 05:06 AM
Just realized your build date is 02/92 (from profile) and got the same results. Wondering how I didn't get the 17111719164 part #.
Thanks for looking Dave! I should have posted this before: if I key in my VIN I get this page:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD68&mospid=47405&btnr=17_0099&hg=17&fg=05

I cant see any difference from the others but I guess its only a diagram.
The leak appears to be coming from the plastic lug at the bottom right of the radiator. I was hoping it may be the seals you mentioned Vince but it isnt coming from directly below the tank. It needs to come out to be tested to be sure. Which brings me right back to which rad... :(

Dave M
01-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Hmmmm, interesting part #. I had no idea there could be so many rad options for a M50 clad e34.

The leak appears to be coming from the plastic lug at the bottom right of the radiator.

Are you referring to the big black plastic nut below the tank in the right of the realoem diagram? If you have a coolant level sensor, its held in place by this nut (you'll see the sensor wires hanging out the bottom). If its the source of the leak, you won't need to remove / replace the rad, but instead, just drain the rad, remove the plastic nut and replace the o-ring. Super duper duper easy :D

Dave M

whiskychaser
01-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Hmmmm, interesting part #. I had no idea there could be so many rad options for a M50 clad e34.

Are you referring to the big black plastic nut below the tank in the right of the realoem diagram? If you have a coolant level sensor, its held in place by this nut (you'll see the sensor wires hanging out the bottom). If its the source of the leak, you won't need to remove / replace the rad, but instead, just drain the rad, remove the plastic nut and replace the o-ring. Super duper duper easy :D

Dave M
Right under the bottom of the rad there are two plastic lugs-just outside the width marks shown for dimension "A". It seems to be coming from the one on the right as you look at the diagram. The 520mm at "A" seems to be the width of the rad for tropical or Australian motors (the 2nd one ending 309). Maybe I made a mistake but mine appears to be 540mm:) Its height is also 460mm whereas the tank is only 280mm-there is a big gap between the bottom of the tank and the bottom of the rad. The plastic nut is therefore pretty visible and I dont think the leak is from there. What I DO have is a white deposit at the joint of the plastic tank and the base. But could that just be road salt as my antifreeze is blue? I guess its possible it could be leaking at the front, running down and then creeping to the back? Really dont fancy paying dealer prices cos I've got an oddball rad:(

whiskychaser
01-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Just spent a bit of time on bmwfans.info. My rad code doesnt appear on any US/EU/Taiwan/Japanese models. It seems unique to ZA models. Rude words :(

Dave M
01-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Right under the bottom of the rad there are two plastic lugs-just outside the width marks shown for dimension "A". It seems to be coming from the one on the right as you look at the diagram.

Oh, I think I understand now :D. It may very well be failing at the crimps between the rad core and the sides (for lack of better teminology). If and when you remove this rad, pull it apart and inspect this area. You'll learn something in the very least.

The 520mm at "A" seems to be the width of the rad for tropical or Australian motors (the 2nd one ending 309). Maybe I made a mistake but mine appears to be 540mm:)

This makes a lot of sense. I carried the decimal over too many places when estimating 520 mm (thought 5.2 cm in my head, and hence, hose diameter, oooops).

Really dont fancy paying dealer prices cos I've got an oddball rad

My money is on a standard rad (non-tropical) fitting fine. The plastic bits on the top don't clamp to anything particular on the rad support and the bottom just sits around on the bumpers. Have a good look and consider it. The rad hoses may need to be changed, but thats not a bad idea anyway.

Dave M

whiskychaser
01-21-2008, 03:05 PM
It may very well be failing at the crimps between the rad core and the sides
I can hope all I like but I think you are bang on with this Dave. If it falls apart when I take it out at least I will have found somthing to put in there to replace it. Thanks for the help. Will post when the job is done

whiskychaser
03-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Like a happy ending? I do - especially when it saves me some cash. A phone call to BMW established the rad part number 17111719164 isnt available any more. So I checked the spec on 17111719309 which goes on the EU/US cars and it looks the same. Cheapest I can get a new one in the UK is £120. So out of curiousity I check Ebay.de and get one for 85 Euros (£65) delivered. The firm gives a two year warranty but doesnt deliver outside Germany. So a friend in business took delivery and shipped it over for me for nothing. Now all I have to do is fit it:) Result? I'd say so

Dave M
03-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Like a happy ending? I do - especially when it saves me some cash. A phone call to BMW established the rad part number 17111719164 isnt available any more. So I checked the spec on 17111719309 which goes on the EU/US cars and it looks the same. Cheapest I can get a new one in the UK is £120. So out of curiousity I check Ebay.de and get one for 85 Euros (£65) delivered. The firm gives a two year warranty but doesnt deliver outside Germany. So a friend in business took delivery and shipped it over for me for nothing. Now all I have to do is fit it:) Result? I'd say so

Wow, thats a pretty cheap rad even by spoiled north american standards :D What manufacturer?

Glad you're back in business,

Dave

whiskychaser
03-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Wow, thats a pretty cheap rad even by spoiled north american standards :D What manufacturer?

Glad you're back in business,

Dave
Thanks. I was lucky and hit on this one at a firm called A C Parts in Beselich. Cant find a manufacturer's stamp but it looks the part and has a two year warranty.