PDA

View Full Version : power steering fluid

compmore
01-20-2008, 05:12 AM
94 540 noticed some strange noises when turning and the local parts guy added a small bottle of power steering fluid as there was none in the reservoir at all This stopped the noises.Must have a leak as have had to do it a couple of times now

need to know how much should be in the reservoir.Up to the mesh, half way or full to the top. there doesn't seem to be any marks on it and my manual is water damaged.

thanks

geoff

stargazer_61
01-20-2008, 07:01 AM
There should be a mark on the reservoir cap, about an inch from the top.

What ps fluid did they put in there? You need Pentosin CHF11S, which isn't sold at most parts stores. Dealers and foreign specialty shops will carry it. Find some and keep a quart in the storage compartment in the trunk.

You have discovered one of the nagging little problems on our beloved V8's, leaky ps lines. If it's the no pressure line, you can snip off an inch where it enters the reservoir and reclamp it. If it's a pressure line, you have a couple of choices. You can leave it alone & keep refilling, or you can replace the lines or have them rebuilt. They are neither cheap to replace nor are they easy to get to. Beware that the ps fluid will eventually destroy the engine mount on the driver side.

Ross
01-20-2008, 08:37 AM
The helpful guy has likely added the wrong fluid. The mesh in the resevoir indicates the need for pentosin fluid which I've never seen in a container smaller than 1 liter. The price of this stuff will compell you to find that leak sooner rather than later. Should you be tempted to keep topping it off with "power steering" fluid rest assured things will then get much worse.
The good news is the hose on the bottom of the resevoir seems to be the most common spot and is easy and cheap to fix. The pressure hoses are a different story I'm told.
Fingers crossed for you

yaofeng
01-20-2008, 09:17 AM
The M60 uses Pentosin. The cap has a green label telling you that. If the label has been peeled off, inscribed on the cap it say to use ATF, misleading people who inherited the car. I hope you have not been misled.

artguy
01-20-2008, 04:05 PM
I know for a fact the PO said he noticed his power steering fluid level would go down in the winter and he just filled it up and things worked fine.

I put some in a few weeks ago because I notice it was low and she groaned a bit when turning.

It didn't dawn on me until I read a couple posts regarding this recently...but he and I, were both putting regular power steering fluid in. At least it was Valvoline's synthetic...but I never thought to refer to that nice green label for the proper fluid!!! (bangs head on table several times) :(

So now what should I do? He had the car for a year or so, I've owned it for 7 months...so the wrong fluid has been in the reservoir for a long time.

Obviously I should drain it...what is the best, most effective way?

What will the wrong fluid effect? hoses? pump? steering components?

BTW...I saw on Bavauto a fluid by Febi/Biltein (S 6161) which is supposed to be comparable to the Pentosin CHF11S. It is a liter bottle for $20.95.

632 Regal
01-20-2008, 06:06 PM
there is a drain plug on the bottom of the pump, drain and turn the wheel back and forth to get as much out as you can then flush it a couple times and you should be good. The wrong fluid can ruin the seals.

I know for a fact the PO said he noticed his power steering fluid level would go down in the winter and he just filled it up and things worked fine.

I put some in a few weeks ago because I notice it was low and she groaned a bit when turning.

It didn't dawn on me until I read a couple posts regarding this recently...but he and I, were both putting regular power steering fluid in. At least it was Valvoline's synthetic...but I never thought to refer to that nice green label for the proper fluid!!! (bangs head on table several times) :(

So now what should I do? He had the car for a year or so, I've owned it for 7 months...so the wrong fluid has been in the reservoir for a long time.

Obviously I should drain it...what is the best, most effective way?

What will the wrong fluid effect? hoses? pump? steering components?

BTW...I saw on Bavauto a fluid by Febi/Biltein (S 6161) which is supposed to be comparable to the Pentosin CHF11S. It is a liter bottle for $20.95.

Jehu
01-20-2008, 08:01 PM
BMW Dealerships seem to carry it. I got a Can of Pentosin for $25.00 a few weeks ago. Relax. Everything is replaceable.