PDA

View Full Version : does anybody 'lube' their window seals?

timandbim
01-17-2008, 02:43 PM
so i've already had one window motor go on me. everytime i pop a window or the sunroof to have a smoke i shudder as i think how bad it is for my poor frozen eighteen year-old seals and motor assemblies. as aware as i am of the easiest sensible solution, it's not gonna happen tomorrow and i'm wondering as i prepare for future dark days of patches, gum and hypnotherapy if there isn't something i can do in the meantime. any suggestions as to a product to use on the seals?

AngryPopTart
01-17-2008, 04:24 PM
You don't typically lube those seals. When the window fuzzies wear out, you replace them. You can't lube them without junk getting on the window. o_O You don't really lube the tracks that guide the sides of the windows either. The biggest culprit would be the tracks/runners that the folding assembly inside the door runs on. That needs to be greased if you're having problems. If you live in a snowy place as is in your sig, they are probably dry.

Ross
01-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Cleaning the channels and beltline w/strips will ease trhe load on the motor. I'll use silicone spray in the side channels sometimes.
Frozen is the operative word in your post though. These cars are horrible for the doors and windows freezing shut. Can't count the number of times I thought the door handle was going to come off. E39 is no better.

bsell
01-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Cleaning the channels and beltline w/strips will ease trhe load on the motor. I'll use silicone spray in the side channels sometimes.
Frozen is the operative word in your post though. These cars are horrible for the doors and windows freezing shut. Can't count the number of times I thought the door handle was going to come off. E39 is no better.

Second the silicone spray on the door and window seals. It is amazing how much faster the windows operate with some slickum on the seals. Plus the slippery door seals make opening the doors easier.

Brian