PDA

View Full Version : 94 540i vibration problem. Part Deux.

rcbrown23
01-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Ok, lets try this again. 1994 540i with auto transmission. First off, let me tell you what happened:

Sitting at a red light waiting to turn left. Light went green and I punched it and took a left turn. Well, right as I punched it, something broke. Now there's an awful vibration at all speeds as I accelerate. No vibration while coasting, and no vibration while braking, but if I get it up to about 35-40mph, the vibration gets really severe, and I can feel it in the shifter also (hell, I can SEE it in the shifter).

I posted here a couple months ago about it, and people seemed to think it was the guibo (flex disc), so I got under there and had a look. Well, I didn't see a guibo at all, and I'm assuming this year with the auto trans doesn't have one?

I did, however, see that one of my center exhaust brackets had broken off and the exhaust was hanging pretty low. I assumed that was the problem, and yesterday I replaced both brackets and rubber hangers. Got in the car happy with my work, and drove it only to find the problem is still the same.

Now I'm back to square one and don't know what it is.

Any help????

Just from searching the boards for a couple hours, I'm think maybe the center bearing? or the CV joint, or U-joint? or...?

Can anyone explain to me the easiest way to narrow this down? I've got a friend with a lift, so in the next couple days, I'll probably lift the car and have a detailed look under there. The bad news is that I'm NOT very mechanically savvy (at all), and I just don't know what I'm looking for. When I know what's wrong with a car, I'm usually pretty good at changing/replacing things, but not finding the problem itself.

Any and all help much appreciated.

-brown

yaofeng
01-17-2008, 02:18 PM
The guibo is on every BMW. It is just behind the transmission.

bsell
01-17-2008, 02:42 PM
The guibo is on every BMW. It is just behind the transmission.

Sorry, but my 09/94 build 525 auto has a solid plate where the guibo should be. At least that's the way it looked last weekend when I changed the oil.

I figure the OP ripped up the left motor mount, as seen by the broken exhaust stuff and the vibration only on acceleration. Suggest opening the hood, setting the parking brake, place tranny in drive, and slowly give her some gas and watch the engine climb out of the engine bay.

Brian

yaofeng
01-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Do you call #2 a solid plate?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD63&mospid=47404&btnr=26_0085&hg=26&fg=10

If #2 is not what you saw, either you or the PO put in something different.

rcbrown23
01-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks yaofeng... I'm going to go have a look here in an hour or so.

bsell, that's exactly what I *thought* I saw also. Like I said, I'll go check and post results.

Tiger
01-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Don't forget engine mounts.

JD525IA
01-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Ok, lets try this again. 1994 540i with auto transmission. First off, let me tell you what happened:

Sitting at a red light waiting to turn left. Light went green and I punched it and took a left turn. Well, right as I punched it, something broke. Now there's an awful vibration at all speeds as I accelerate. No vibration while coasting, and no vibration while braking, but if I get it up to about 35-40mph, the vibration gets really severe, and I can feel it in the shifter also (hell, I can SEE it in the shifter).

I posted here a couple months ago about it, and people seemed to think it was the guibo (flex disc), so I got under there and had a look. Well, I didn't see a guibo at all, and I'm assuming this year with the auto trans doesn't have one?

I did, however, see that one of my center exhaust brackets had broken off and the exhaust was hanging pretty low. I assumed that was the problem, and yesterday I replaced both brackets and rubber hangers. Got in the car happy with my work, and drove it only to find the problem is still the same.

Now I'm back to square one and don't know what it is.

Any help????

Just from searching the boards for a couple hours, I'm think maybe the center bearing? or the CV joint, or U-joint? or...?

Can anyone explain to me the easiest way to narrow this down? I've got a friend with a lift, so in the next couple days, I'll probably lift the car and have a detailed look under there. The bad news is that I'm NOT very mechanically savvy (at all), and I just don't know what I'm looking for. When I know what's wrong with a car, I'm usually pretty good at changing/replacing things, but not finding the problem itself.

Any and all help much appreciated.

-brown

It's fairly cheap and not too difficult. I had mine go out when pulling away from a stop sign when I punched it. When mine did go, the symptoms were exactly like yours.

Check it out.

JD

BigKriss
01-17-2008, 06:16 PM
transmission mounts maybe, time to remvoe the exhaust and look at the driveshaft and it's related components.

yaofeng, a lot of 525 and 535's don't have a guibo. I know mine doesn't.

rcbrown23
01-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Well, mine DOES have a guibo, and that's the problem. I don't know where I was looking last time, but I pulled it up on a ramp, got under there, and sure enough, the flex disc is mangled all to hell.

I'm actually glad that's the problem, and not something more difficult.

Ordering one now, and changing it out next week.

thanks for the replies

yaofeng
01-17-2008, 11:03 PM
transmission mounts maybe, time to remvoe the exhaust and look at the driveshaft and it's related components.

yaofeng, a lot of 525 and 535's don't have a guibo. I know mine doesn't.

I'd like to know what you have. I am sure many others would be interested too. Do you have a picture or could point out from the parts catalog?

BigKriss
01-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Sure, all the information is in this thread. (http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13149&highlight=535+guibo)

I'd like to know what you have. I am sure many others would be interested too. Do you have a picture or could point out from the parts catalog?

mattyb
01-17-2008, 11:46 PM
i've had the same. its an elimation process. tranny mounts to start, they are cheap and easy to do, flex disc is certainly there id bet my left ball you have one! most likely the centre bearing let go. but its not to expensive excersise to do the engine mounts, tranny mounts, flex disc and the centre bearing. a weekend, a few boxes of beer, decent tools and your are done. there should be aheap of info in the search. PM if you need help as i have done all of this myself before and I am not a mechanic.

yaofeng
01-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Sure, all the information is in this thread. (http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13149&highlight=535+guibo)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD22&mospid=47382&btnr=26_0046&hg=26&fg=10

I didn't know never had a 535 auto. Learn something new everyday. I had a 86 325es. It has one. The other two BMW's I have, one M50tu and another M60, also have it.

BMWCCA1
01-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Never owned an automatic E34 but my wife's old E28 535iA doesn't have a guibo, and I know that for a fact. Film at RealOEM pictures one but no part number reference in the tables below the picture. Easy enough to tell though....

rcbrown23
01-23-2008, 07:44 PM
WoW... I remember attempting to post an update in this thread, but the website was down at the time.

I got under there again, and sure enough, it WAS the flex disc (guibo). I just couldn't really get under far enough the first time to see it. It's basically shredded in two. I'll take a snapshot when I get it off of there.

Thanks for all the info, and I just ordered another one, so should be up and running within a week or so.

-brown

p.s. I'll be selling this vehicle once I get all the kinks out, if anyone's interested.