PDA

View Full Version : Trans Computer swap

chris_e34
01-16-2008, 08:20 PM
So regarding my problem in my 530i where the engine stalls when shifted into drive, i have pretty much narrowed it down to the trans computer. in the instance i put a trans control module in from a 94 740 what could be the worst that could happen. as of right now my basement is the best place to source a tcm, this is all i can find. should it at least give me some sort of limp mode that will lead me to the assumption that buying a new tcm will solve the problem?

chris_e34
01-16-2008, 11:06 PM
why is it that almost every thread on this board gets at least one reply, but everytime i post the only person that even attempts to help is blessed regal. is it that my questions are so off the wall that no one knows the answer? or am i somehow ****ing shunned from this board. i alway try and help others out whenever i can, and i thought that this board was a place i could come to for help. well im in the dark and really need some guidance. can anyone at all shed some light into what would happen if i put a tcm in my 530 that came from a 740. would there be any risk of damaging anything? any input negative or positive would be much appreciated. thanks

dt8068
01-17-2008, 01:31 AM
The transmission in a 740 is the zf 5hp30, and the trans in your car is a zf 5hp18, which is a different trans. I'm not positive but I don't think the transmission dme for those two cars are the same. And as for replies, this board is usually less active than boards like bimmerforums, but be patient and someone very knowledgeable will usually chime in.

chris_e34
01-17-2008, 01:45 AM
thanks for the reply, ive been a member of this board for almost 3 years. and its definitly gone downhill as it got more popular. i guess that is to be expected. anyway im aware they are different trannys but how different could the software really be. they are sister trannys the one on the 4.0 m60 can handle a larger load, im assuming. im not expecting it to work perfectly, just function to a certain degree, enough for me to rule in or out the computer as the source of this malfunction before shelling out 350-400$. are these assumptions correct????thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

whiskychaser
01-17-2008, 03:42 PM
thanks for the reply, ive been a member of this board for almost 3 years. and its definitly gone downhill as it got more popular. i guess that is to be expected. anyway im aware they are different trannys but how different could the software really be. they are sister trannys the one on the 4.0 m60 can handle a larger load, im assuming. im not expecting it to work perfectly, just function to a certain degree, enough for me to rule in or out the computer as the source of this malfunction before shelling out 350-400$. are these assumptions correct????thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
If you are really called Chris, then Chris please stop sulking. Maybe nobody knows the answer to your question? What I CAN tell you is there are about a dozen different versions of the 5HP18 and the bits are not interchangeable. eg a late '92 5HP18 will FIT physically in an early '92 525i (mine) but the electronics are totally different and it wont work. I asked a guy I know at ZF. Cant remember exactly what he said but the words square peg and round hole come to mind. So I doubt you will have any luck with one for a 5HP30. I cant help you with a TCM but if you want all the info I have collected on the 5HP18 plse pm me and I will be pleased to email it to you

chris_e34
01-17-2008, 09:13 PM
not sulking, simply making an observation about the downhill trend of this board since i joined in early 2006. sorry if it came off as a sulking. by the way im happy to say my diagnoses expirement worked. with that trans computer from the 740 i ruled out the trans computer as the culprit for my problem. the car stalled out just the same with no difference at all in the way it did it. the tcm definitly wouldnt work as a replacement but worked just fine as a test in my scenario. i was just trying to find out any danger behind doing it. i am sending you pm for that info. thanks

BigKriss
01-17-2008, 11:18 PM
its a free forum with free information and if you go on crying about no-one helping you out and then complain about it later on, of course no-one is going to help you.

pcross
01-25-2008, 05:23 PM
In short, my knowledgable (technician) friend at the local BMW dealership had a quick response (I let him read your post) - Do the EGS swap you contemplate and you just might be able to serve up your fried tranny with bacon. There are quite different EGS modules for different transmissions for excellent reasons or most likely BMW would provide a universal EGS. Here is my best positive response. I would invest in the Carsoft 6.5 diagnostic program (you can download it free on the net), purchase a Carsoft 6.5 diagnostic interface on eBay for $139.00 + shpg, and run a complete diagnostic on your laptop or desktop computer (yes, carry it out to your car and plug it into a long extension cord). Carsoft 6.5 is amazing and if there is any kind of problem it will (most likely) indicate it. At least you will know if it is, indeed, the EGS module and not some other component. Hope this helps a little. I'm new to this forum and I am hopeful of assistance from time-to-time myself. BTW I use Carsoft 6.5 and am tickled to death with it.

chopperdad43
02-17-2008, 11:44 AM
if i can figure out to get mine out of limp mode,i got an extra computer for ya.
can you help me?got a 94 530i in limp mode.bou8ght all kind of xtra stuff ,but still in limp.