PDA

View Full Version : New E34 owner for life! (and cam question)

healtoeit
01-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Hello Everyone!
I am new to this forum. I bought my E34 in 2007 (I'm the third owner) and I will not buy another car for myself (even after driving a e39 540i for over a year) ever. I have replaced the clutch, at 178k miles. Replaced the sway bars w/ racing dynamics and the sound system w/ an alpine head unite and redid all the wiring to the speakers. Now I have a question! Does anyone know of a good cam replacement for the m50 motor? I track my car at summit point and would like more top end!
Thankx for reading all!
:D

Ross
01-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Welcome.
High praise indeed.
Sorry, I'm not able to help you with a cam selection. I hope you aren't expecting this to keep pace with the old 540.

Dave M
01-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Congatulations and welcome.

I have a feeling the vast majority will steer you away from cams and toward a DME chip (EAT chip). I don't know which (if any) cams can be swapped into an M50 (non-vanos?) engine without additional heartache.

Dave M

Sam-Son
01-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Shrick cams or you could ge some S50 ones

healtoeit
01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Shrick cams or you could ge some S50 ones

Those are the cams that are in the e36 m3 correct? Will those fit on a non-vanos car (my car is non-vanos)? I already have a conforti chip in the car and am looking for ways to increase my 4k +rpm acceleration.

Paul in NZ
01-16-2008, 04:18 AM
Those are the cams that are in the e36 m3 correct? Will those fit on a non-vanos car (my car is non-vanos)? I already have a conforti chip in the car and am looking for ways to increase my 4k +rpm acceleration.
cubes....

Morgenster
01-16-2008, 05:01 AM

You could try the JonK way of getting more power :D .

Sam-Son
01-17-2008, 12:22 AM
S50 cams are what would've gone in an E36 M3 you could also look around for sunbelt cams
Ask Brandon J for more info he used to have a modded M50 with alsorts of goodies in fact his thread is stickied at the top of the page

Barney Paull-Edwards
01-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Non-vanos engines hate more overlap due to size of plenum chamber giving a delay effect on cylinder filling,dont bother unless you can find a machined blank cam not a re-grind(you cannot increase lift on a re-grind), and new blanks are bloody expensive.Go EAT and exhaust or Jon K lunacy method!

clevertd
01-17-2008, 01:40 AM
S50 cams won't work in a M50NV. You can swap the intake cam to the exhaust side and get a Schrick intake cam, a pair of Schricks, or maybe some sunbelt cams.

rob101
01-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Non-vanos engines hate more overlap due to size of plenum chamber giving a delay effect on cylinder filling,dont bother unless you can find a machined blank cam not a re-grind(you cannot increase lift on a re-grind), and new blanks are bloody expensive.Go EAT and exhaust or Jon K lunacy method!
barney, I am confused are you talking about the intake manifold plenum or some feature of the intake passages in the head?
cam you elaborate, sounds interesting:D