PDA

View Full Version : The end of an era, or decade

Adnan
01-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi,

Almost exactly ten years of E34 ownership have just ended. My '91 535i just changed hands, going to someone who will, I believe, appreciate and maintain the car well.

With 162k miles and a 5-speed gearbox, she drives as solidly as ever. Her wants were few and she was far more reliable than a seventeen year-old car has a right to be.

The new owner drove off with an ear to ear grin that wouldn't stop, very much the same image as that of ten years ago, as I drove her home. I watched her leave with a strange mix of emotions; glad that she was going to a good home and saddened that I would not see her again.

She is replaced by an E90, which while a fine car in its own right, lacks the sense of style and cost-no-object build quality of the E34.

To this board, I offer my sincerest thanks for all the support and advice over the years, without which I would never have had the courage to own and maintain her. The E34 community is an exceptional one and I have no doubt that it will endure.

I will continue to visit and live vicariously through all of you. The end of an era indeed.

With warmest regards,
Adnan

Fresno 17
01-13-2008, 08:27 PM
hello Were is the new post button, I am new nwe to list and cant seen to start my own post for a problem I am having with my car

Adnan
01-13-2008, 10:06 PM
nt

philbyil
01-14-2008, 12:15 PM
:(

After all this time, I am sorry to see you "quit the fold"......but I am curious as to why you sold it?

All the best with the new wheels.....

Hi,

Almost exactly ten years of E34 ownership have just ended. My '91 535i just changed hands, going to someone who will, I believe, appreciate and maintain the car well.

With 162k miles and a 5-speed gearbox, she drives as solidly as ever. Her wants were few and she was far more reliable than a seventeen year-old car has a right to be.

The new owner drove off with an ear to ear grin that wouldn't stop, very much the same image as that of ten years ago, as I drove her home. I watched her leave with a strange mix of emotions; glad that she was going to a good home and saddened that I would not see her again.

She is replaced by an E90, which while a fine car in its own right, lacks the sense of style and cost-no-object build quality of the E34.

To this board, I offer my sincerest thanks for all the support and advice over the years, without which I would never have had the courage to own and maintain her. The E34 community is an exceptional one and I have no doubt that it will endure.

I will continue to visit and live vicariously through all of you. The end of an era indeed.

With warmest regards,
Adnan

Adnan
01-14-2008, 08:49 PM
:(

After all this time, I am sorry to see you "quit the fold"......but I am curious as to why you sold it?

All the best with the new wheels.....

Hi,

I didn't recognize your new username; I always think of you as PhilC. I'm also pleased to see that you still use the "shark in.." line that I tweaked years ago.

Why did I quit the fold? Well, the car was starting to suffer cosmetically, triggered by the hood inexplicably fading over one winter. I believe that it had been repainted once and they obviously didn't do a good job. Then there was the litany of little things that are typical for a car this age - weatherstripping, cracked headlights, sagging headliner, door panels, etc. I made sure that she was mechanically solid though so it's nothing that a small infusion of cash and energy can't fix. I know, shame on me for letting these things accumulate and for not attacking them right away but I find that I just don't have the time anymore. I haven't even touched my Austin Healey 3000 restoration in five years!

As I watched her being driven away I said to my wife that if BMW made an E34 today, I'd buy a 535i in a heartbeat. Truly.

Regards,
Adnan

RockJock
01-15-2008, 11:58 AM
---snip---She is replaced by an E90, which while a fine car in its own right, lacks the sense of style and cost-no-object build quality of the E34.---snip---
Adnan

Just curious do the E90's or the E60's, like our E34's still have "Made in Germany" on the door jam stickers?; or does it say "Made in Europe"?

Is the line at the bottom of Rob101 sig pic still valid? (i.e., "Germans: Why can't they make everything?")

I recently got a couple bars of Ritter Sport Schokolade that were made in Russia...

CharlesAFerg
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Just curious do the E90's or the E60's, like our E34's still have "Made in Germany" on the door jam stickers?; or does it say "Made in Europe"?

Is the line at the bottom of Rob101 sig pic still valid? (i.e., "Germans: Why can't they make everything?")

I recently got a couple bars of Ritter Sport Schokolade that were made in Russia...

Dude, come on - go for the Dutch chocolate, it's the best.
Us Nederlanders know, that **** stays within the borders. ;)

RockJock
01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Dude, come on - go for the Dutch chocolate, it's the best.
Us Nederlanders know, that **** stays within the borders. ;)

LOL, k, from now on it's only Dutch chocolate, Grolsch or Heineken for me! :D

ryan roopnarine
01-15-2008, 03:43 PM
not to threadjack, but the dutch also made this.

not the song, of course, but the video for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIA4gcrk-50&feature=PlayList&p=47107D4785F3F5A4&index=43

10 years is exactly double the amount of time i've had my car for. i worry about what the future might hold for me (and it).

rob101
01-15-2008, 04:46 PM

wow, my sig quote got posted.
I know that for us in the past the poverty spec 318i e46 was from sud Afrika. a guy down the road has a e36 318is sedan that is from pretoria sud afrika whereas my gf's coupe is from regensburg ja. (i think this is for RHD only)
believe that and Greer? (in the US which makes Z4 and X cars)
are the only non-german factories
11th no. of the VIN tells you the factory http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101178

pundit
01-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Just curious do the E90's or the E60's, like our E34's still have "Made in Germany" on the door jam stickers?; or does
it say "Made in Europe"?...
It's common now to find products labelled "Made in the E.U." (European Union).
That's generally a sign that they've been made at a lower cost than products from Western Europe.

Many Eastern European countries that were originally under control of the old Soviet Union still have lower wages and living standards than Western Europe.
Hence it is cheaper to manufacture in these countries than say Germany or England.

These cheaper manufacturing regions are often referred to as the 'Asia' of Europe.

Here's a link...

http://www.prnewswire.de/cgi/news/release?id=122062

Of course the Western European countries would rather keep their manufacturing labelling specifying their own country of origin such as "Made in Germany" or "Made in the U.K."
This is to maintain a higher selling price based on a perception of higher quality (which they need to do because they're costs are indeed higher) and reduce any customer doubts about buying something 'cheap' from the 'E.U.'

The catch is they simply can't compete on a cost level anyway, and that's what's hurting them.

philbyil
01-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Yup! You know you are inextricably linked to the "GQ" forever :D
Understood about the cosmetics.....I'm still as anal as ever and the "GQ" is still looking (almost!) showroom. Trouble is, when things start to go downhill on the cosmetics front, it's a real PITA to get stuck in and try to bring the car "up to snuff". IMHO, the mechanical side is actually the easiest!!!

Now..... you get stuck in to that 3000 resto y'hear....or else I'll come down there one dark night, sneak in and tow it away to MY garage :D :D

Be safe Adnan