PDA

View Full Version : how to fill automatic gearbox??

TWISM
05-20-2004, 04:59 AM
Hope you can help me...

I have a 525 TDS (Turbo Diesel Intercooler) from 1992. Because my engine (M51) died a couple of months ago, I have changed the engine. I have an automatic gearbox WITHOUT an oilstick. It is the same as an automatic gearbox from an 525i with M50 engine.

Now is my question, how do I fill my gearbox with oil??

Greetz...

TWISM

WarrenBrown
05-20-2004, 06:53 AM
At the hardware store or home center you can buy clear plastic tubing that is very flexible. You will need about 4 feet approximately 5/8" to 3/4" O.D about 1/16” wall. Also need a funnel that will mate with the tubing. From the back of the engine compartment, snake the tubing down toward the fill plug of the gearbox. Using the funnel connected to the tubing pour from the engine compartment side. With the car level and the transmission up to temperature the correct level is so that it just runs out of the fill port. Check the Bentley manual for details of temperature and shift lever position.

Warren
91 318is
95 525iT

RobPatt 93 525ia
05-20-2004, 09:44 AM
I've got the same tranny, and posted a question a few days ago about this, to which I got a good reply....

It's drained and filled through 2 bolt type plugs around the pan. Make sure you open the fill plug first, to ensure it's not seized or anything. Drain fluid. You can buy a $5 hand pump to fit on the ATF bottle, and use it from under the car to pump fluid back into the fill hole. Follow your bentley manuel, and fill until fluid begins to run out. You're supposed to have fluid temp measurements, and fill w/fluid in a specific temp range...however, I'll drain and fill w/engine(trans) and new fluid at same temp, like first thing in the morning. (assuming the car is in a garage or wherever it would be the same temp as your new fluid...)

Hope you can help me...

I have a 525 TDS (Turbo Diesel Intercooler) from 1992. Because my engine (M51) died a couple of months ago, I have changed the engine. I have an automatic gearbox WITHOUT an oilstick. It is the same as an automatic gearbox from an 525i with M50 engine.

Now is my question, how do I fill my gearbox with oil??

Greetz...

TWISM

TWISM
05-20-2004, 09:15 PM
I've got the same tranny, and posted a question a few days ago about this, to which I got a good reply....

It's drained and filled through 2 bolt type plugs around the pan. Make sure you open the fill plug first, to ensure it's not seized or anything. Drain fluid. You can buy a $5 hand pump to fit on the ATF bottle, and use it from under the car to pump fluid back into the fill hole. Follow your bentley manuel, and fill until fluid begins to run out. You're supposed to have fluid temp measurements, and fill w/fluid in a specific temp range...however, I'll drain and fill w/engine(trans) and new fluid at same temp, like first thing in the morning. (assuming the car is in a garage or wherever it would be the same temp as your new fluid...)

Thnx for the tip!! Just 1 question... I heard you have to do it with running engine??

TWISM

winfred
05-20-2004, 09:22 PM
check it with the tranny hot and the engine running, a 5-10 mile drive will warm it up enough