PDA

View Full Version : Radiator screw plug leaking?

Yakker
01-11-2008, 06:29 PM
So I just took the screw plug out to drain the radiator and put it back in to refill and now water just keeps coming out of the drain. Whats going on here? It was literally just working fine a few minutes before this. Oh yeah and this is an m20.

whiskychaser
01-11-2008, 07:07 PM
So I just took the screw plug out to drain the radiator and put it back in to refill and now water just keeps coming out of the drain. Whats going on here? It was literally just working fine a few minutes before this. Oh yeah and this is an m20.
a. Its cross-threaded b. It was bunged up with gunge before c. a seal broke
Dont know if there is a seal in there but if coolant is coming past the threads, try some ptfe tape?

Dave M
01-11-2008, 07:09 PM
This one is from an M50. Does it look the same on an M20 rad?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Misc/Rad_Drain_plug.jpg

Two things:

1) The small o-rings can slide off causing a leak. Unfortunately, you'll have to take the plug out fully in order to check :(

2) I have found the plug finicky. Try backing it out from fully locked a bit and see if the leak subsides. This may have bben due to the o-ring, I don't recall ??

Good luck with it,

Dave M

Dave M
01-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Oh look, theres even an o-ring ring missing in the pic :D

If you're missing an o-ring or cross-threaded and damage it, I believe the plugs are cheap from the dealer.

Yakker
01-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah i figured there were some o-rings or something in there. I know the part is only a few bucks, sucks cause i leave for the military monday evening. I guess i'll be busy monday morning. I'm pretty sure its not cross threaded cause it moves pretty easy. But i guess i'll have to pull the whole thing out to see whats up.