PDA

View Full Version : Well, its time i think....!!!

gordon
05-20-2004, 04:50 AM
After owning the E34 since 2000, i have decided to put it up for sale... What a great 4 years its been (and joining in on the forum has been one of the high points). With increasing gas prices, a daughter two years away from college, and some other interests, i think its time... Not sure what can replace it as a daily driver, but hope i don't go through too much withdrawl?
Will keep you posted as to how it goes....

http://vaxxine.com/gblawson/vcs03.jpg

billb
05-20-2004, 07:18 AM
Gordon forced to sell off his beloved 535i? Would you consider a trade for an economical, fully-sorted, freshly suspensioned '95 525ia, Oxford Green? I'd even have the dents in the passenger's door pulled for ya!

Gordon, find a replacement for the 318 you lost, store away that Fiver. It is part of history, and remains the most beautiful 535 I've ever "seen".

Reconsider, man, reconsider.

:p

Bill B.

George M
05-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Wow! Gordon...be sure to give it some long serious thought. If you do sell it, be sure to keep it in the family and sell it to someone on this board that will take care of it like you have and keep you appraised of its status.
Again...I would give it some long thought Gordon. There have been cars I have regretted selling in my past. I believe this one car you may seriously regret parting with.
George

BigD
05-20-2004, 07:31 AM
Oh Gordon...nooooo...! At least bring it back to stock form as much as you can. Sell the wheels, suspension, chip, trade for stock + $ with someone for your powdercoated engine parts....

tim s
05-20-2004, 08:33 AM
i thought on several occasions about selling my 540i/a, my wife will not let me. she constanly reminds me of the heads aches & expenses of any car. only sell if it is going to need something more than half of what it is worth at least. do you have it in the condition you would like it to be?????? the only thing i do not like about my 540i/a is that it needs a heater core. i replaced everything else. just consider what alternative cars that are not as expensive. they are not very desirable after driving one of these. every time i get in my 540i/a i remember why i drive a bmw. as part of you deciding points take some other cars for a nice country drive, then take the same ride in the e34.
tim s.

Bill R.
05-20-2004, 09:18 AM
After owning the E34 since 2000, i have decided to put it up for sale... What a great 4 years its been (and joining in on the forum has been one of the high points). With increasing gas prices, a daughter two years away from college, and some other interests, i think its time... Not sure what can replace it as a daily driver, but hope i don't go through too much withdrawl?
Will keep you posted as to how it goes....

http://vaxxine.com/gblawson/vcs03.jpg

gordon
05-20-2004, 11:59 AM
I certainly won't find another daily driver like this one... however, i really think its time while i can still get some value for it....

Will have this to play with until then...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/gordonblawson/td/td1.jpg

MicahO
05-20-2004, 12:24 PM
.....seeing how I already jumped ship.

BUT - the e34, particularly these 535iM's, are fabulous cars, plain and simple. They also can turn the corner and become more maintenance than they are worth. Yours does not seem to be at that point, but it's a point that's out there, lurking. That's the unfortunate reality when age, mechanical systems and budgetary concerns collide. At what point does it cease to make sense?

Anyhow - there are some fun vehicles out there, and not too distant from your 535. Bill's note about a later model e34 525 should ring true. Great cars are out there, the initial cost may be a bit higher, but the maintenance should decline for a while. Of course, the more you pay up front, the less you pay for maintenance. Or at least that's how the math is SUPPOSED to work....

As noted - bring it back to almost-stock, at least as far as looks, and get some money for the parts. Your car has been modified simply and tastefully, and that's a plus. Nevertheless, while you may get some money for the wheels on the car, there are few who would increase the purchase price for the underhood visuals you've done, nice as they are. Swap someone for stock parts, bolt them on, and get some cash in the process.

Whatever you do, don't travel the road I have gone down. It's like crack cocaine - far too addictive ;)

MicahO
05-20-2004, 12:26 PM
on another note - why are signatures not putting pioctures in properly, or is it just me?

Robin-535im
05-20-2004, 02:33 PM
Hi Gordon,

Just last month I was in the market - too bad I didn't know you were thinking of selling or I would have made you an offer!

Some random info since you may be selling: I ran a ton of valuations on NADAGuides.com to see what a 535im would sell for. The chart below is about 4 weeks old but prices should be the same since then. I then cross-referenced it with the 535im's for sale on Autotrader to correlate the blue book price with market prices. What I found from looking on Autotrader is that there are two types of e34 owners: Normal people and Enthusiasts, of which we are all the latter of course.

In general, Enthusiasts list at high blue book, Normal owners list at medium blue book, and those "I-just-dropped-a-500hp-v8-into-my-e34" people ask 2-3 times high blue book!

Here's the data from NADAGuides.com, mid and high value by year and mileage for a 535im:

____1989 1989 1990 1990 1991 1991 1992 1992
____Mid__High_Mid__High_Mid__High_Mid__High
080k 6440 7540 7177 8327 7912 9087 9272 10497
090k 6440 7540 7177 8327 7912 9087 9272 10497
100k 6207 7307 6913 8063 7618 8793 8923 10148
110k 6207 7307 6913 8063 7618 8793 8923 10148
120k 6207 7307 6913 8063 7618 8793 8923 10148
130k 6207 7307 6913 8063 7618 8793 8923 10148

So hopefully you'll see the pricing data and tell yourself, "This is the best darn car I could ever drive, and no amount of money will make me sell it..."

Best of luck,

Robin

callen
05-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Robin:

Good point....if and when I do get another daily driver will hang on the the old 535 cause I won't get anything for it and everyone needs a second.....or third vehicle.
Callen 91 535i 94 530i 5spds

callen
05-20-2004, 04:26 PM
I've soo many times considered getting another car then just get soooo scared no matter what I get it won't compare and will miss my 240K mile 535i.......if you have the ability I'd hang on to the 535....how many people say "man I used to have a ....." and sold it...worst thing I ever did".
Callen 91 535 94 530i 5spd
Plus you always inspire me when I see that "Bronzit" shined up so nice.

Jeff N.
05-20-2004, 06:16 PM
Checks calendar...huh!? Not April 1st - what gives!?

Brian C.
05-20-2004, 06:37 PM
If BMWCCA can do it, why not here?

Brian C.
:D

Geoff Hoad
05-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Gee Gordon, what can I say. Educating the kids is killing us financially so I empathise very strongly. But what could you replace it with? A really tough decision and I know you must be thinking that after all the love and attention you have put into the car, and all the pleasure it has given you in return, this is going to be a very emotional decision.

Good Luck,

Geoff

Geoff Hoad
05-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Micah,

You raise a very good point indeed. One of the UK BMW Magazines did a review on the eight-cylinder models as second hand buys and by the time I finished reading the article what little hair on my head was standing on end. Lots of problems. Then the article went on and did a summary on M50 engined 525i models and essentially gave them a big thumbs up in comparision to their larger capacity bretheren. The 535i models also got the green light. The real decider in keeping E34's long term appears to be preventative maintenance as well as standard maintennace. Wouldn't mind seeing Bill R's comments on this from his personal experience.

Geoff
'94 525iA
'86 318iM

gordon
05-21-2004, 03:48 AM
Believe me, i have given it a lot of thought. Switching to a smaller car will be really weird and the E34 will be missed. The bottom line however was covered in one of the replies... if i wait another year or two i will be in the $4-3000 or less range. The things i have replaced over the last 4 years will all need replacing again and this way i am selling a car that will be in great shape for the buyer for at least a year or two.
With prices of repairs and fuel the way they are, i'm finding that my calm evening cruizes down the Niagara Parkway are now accompanied by the "God, if i have to replace anything major, i'm in big "do-do".
The pricing chart in the post below puts what i have been thinking in about the right range (I assume it was in U.S. funds)... I will advertise it at $9500 Canadian ($6950.00 U.S.) and see what happens. I have considered pulling parts and selling it stock... still thinking about that one.
Micha's comment about addiction is pretty close to where i have been as well... no regrets however.
The MGTD will give me a chance to use some wrenches as well (have always been a bit nervous to do much DIY stuff on the 5) and will keep me off the streets at night.(now..where the hell is that whitworth wrench)
Will let you know what the For Sale sign in the window does. (other then people at work's jaw dropping).

JR'Z 525
05-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Gordon, I know it is a tough decision to sell your one of your automotive babies. I've often wondered if I should do the same but since I have a small fleet of "semi-used up" vehicles, if one goes down I can fall back on another -all the way down to my MG Midget if need be. British sports cars do make excellent spare vehicles! Nice TF!
BTW, what will you do with the engine detail brushes and powder coat kits?!
Keep in touch
JR

Robin-535im
05-21-2004, 05:16 PM
If BMWCCA can do it, why not here?

Brian C.
:D

$20 bucks a ticket, 400 tickets = $8k. I'm in. Gordon gets a good price, someone here gets a great car for twenty bucks. Maybe one of our Nevada or non-US members will have to coordinate - might not be legal in most US states!

632 Regal
05-21-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George M
05-21-2004, 05:50 PM
Gordon...I have a set of freshly refinished basketweaves in perfect shape and new Yokohama tires on my E-32. Why don't I drive to your home in Canada and we swap wheels and tires for a fair price. I haven't taken a road trip through Canada and I would like to meet you anyway and while in Canada would like to visit Bruno and his new house as well....he may have a lift by now :-) That way we will keep at least your wheels alive on my car...I will be happy and you can make a little money. Generally selling wheels and tires is more cost effective than selling your car with higher end wheels provided you have a nice original set to put on the car. Don't recall if you still have your original basketweaves.
Let me know if you are interested and what you would need out of your wheels/tires to make the swap.
George

BigD
05-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Let me know when you're visiting Bruno, I'd love to meet you finally as well!

Gordon...I have a set of freshly refinished basketweaves in perfect shape and new Yokohama tires on my E-32. Why don't I drive to your home in Canada and we swap wheels and tires for a fair price. I haven't taken a road trip through Canada and I would like to meet you anyway and while in Canada would like to visit Bruno and his new house as well....he may have a lift by now :-) That way we will keep at least your wheels alive on my car...I will be happy and you can make a little money. Generally selling wheels and tires is more cost effective than selling your car with higher end wheels provided you have a nice original set to put on the car. Don't recall if you still have your original basketweaves.
Let me know if you are interested and what you would need out of your wheels/tires to make the swap.
George

Brian C.
05-21-2004, 08:19 PM
A man gotta do what a man gotta do!

Best always buddy.........

Brian C.

winfred
05-21-2004, 10:55 PM
**** for that ill put up my 535, all it needs is a paint job

$20 bucks a ticket, 400 tickets = $8k. I'm in. Gordon gets a good price, someone here gets a great car for twenty bucks. Maybe one of our Nevada or non-US members will have to coordinate - might not be legal in most US states!

Jeff C
05-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Depending on the date I would be willing to drive to Toronto for a meeting of the minds ;)

Besides I wanna see BigD's M5 and Bruno's tricked out brake ducts and George's immaculate engine bay

jeff

George M
05-22-2004, 02:05 AM
perhaps a big farewell party/bimmer meet at Gordon's crib? Would be good to round up the boys and pay hommage to Gordon.
George

BigD
05-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Great idea! Hope my car will be ready for the date you guys choose (hopefully a few more weeks, all depends on when the pistons are finally done).

perhaps a big farewell party/bimmer meet at Gordon's crib? Would be good to round up the boys and pay hommage to Gordon.
George