PDA

View Full Version : V8 Spark Plugs... Interesting...

Tiger
01-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Hey Guys,
I just recieved my Bosch Plugs... even though it was listed as Yttrium plugs... which is enhanced copper plug with 50% more duty life. It turns out to be just a standard copper plug rather than the Yttrium.

I went to Bosch website and they only listed standard copper plug available but not the Yttrium. They also listed the Plat +2, Plat +4 and their Iridium Fusion Plugs available too.

Then I went to NGK website and they only listed their standard copper plug as the only one available for our beloved V8.

So that tell us that copper plug is more than enough for our V8 engine... No fancy plugs necessary as BMW specified. So why pay $7.06 for NGK when Bosch is $5.66?

Jon K
01-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Copper plugs are more than enough for all engines - in fact I still stand by that single ground copper plugs are the best thing you can put in your engine.

Why pay $7.06 OR $5.66, when NGK BKR7E are available at your local Advanced Auto for $1.77 ea (part number 6097)?

Tiger
01-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I concur on the copper plug. It is all anyone really needs as long as they are changed regularly. Copper plug yields the maximum ignition firepower from the coil packs. Other metals will require less power to ignite but that is a weaker firepower.

I know there are alot of you with inline 6 who has used the single ground plugs... have anyone used it on the V8 yet? How is your fuel mileage before and after switching?

Jon K
01-10-2008, 04:06 PM
I use it on my sisters M60. Runs great.

Tiger
01-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Oh! Then I must do it too. Thanks Jon... Saved me some money too.

Tiger
01-10-2008, 04:33 PM
New Update!

I spoke to Tom at AutohausAZ and he told me that Bosch used old packaging but put in new Super Plus Yttrium plugs in there. I then opened it and confirmed that it is indeed Super Plus Yttrium plugs in there...

So... $5.66 for more durable copper Bosch Yttrium enhanced plugs compared to plain copper NGK $7.06 plugs.

Jon is right about copper is superior and single electrode. For those of us who doesn't want to change plugs often, then this Yttrium plug is for you... copper and longer lasting.

Ferret
01-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Copper plugs are more than enough for all engines - in fact I still stand by that single ground copper plugs are the best thing you can put in your engine.

Why pay $7.06 OR $5.66, when NGK BKR7E are available at your local Advanced Auto for $1.77 ea (part number 6097)?

Interestingly, I've just realised something Jon...

The cheapo plugs I put in the v8 weren't BKR7E's - I wonder if this has something to do with why they're flashing over and producing the BROD...
Last time I dont check the model numbers of the parts sold to me as 'dead cert compatible, mate!' by the guy at the auto factors place.

One weeks use:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Car/IMG_1713.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Car/IMG_1712.jpg

The car was running like absoloute crap with these in, constant random idle misfires etc.

Dropped a few quid and bought new pack to plug leads and bosch plugs, and it now runs absoloutely DEAD stable :D

The original BMW leads were rated at 1.6kOhm or 1.8 impedance, whereas the replacement parts were stamped with 2.0kOhm - wonder what gives there.

Tiger if you start getting misfires, I'd check the condition of your leads!

Tiger
01-10-2008, 04:55 PM
I got new leads and they are 1.8k Ohms Bremi.

Motor is running a tad rough but then again, my plugs are like 5 or 6 years old copper.

Ferret
01-10-2008, 05:15 PM

Motor is running a tad rough but then again, my plugs are like 5 or 6 years old copper.

Were your new ones dealer parts or patterns from Autohaus?

I picked mine up direct from the dealer as they're hard to find third party here:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Car/IMG_1707.jpg

It's a different part to the original, physically different and different spec.

They're a lot tighter sealing on the plugs too, you get quite a good vaccuum seal with these leads - they kinda go hissss-pop as you pull the coil packs off the plugs!

EDIT: Missed you'd said bremi OEM parts... wonder if bmw changed spec for a reason then?

Tiger
01-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Don't know if BMW changed the spec. I got mine from AutohausAZ.

Paul in NZ
01-11-2008, 01:12 AM

:(

Tiger
01-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Why so sad?

Bill R.
01-11-2008, 11:57 AM
normal on all deep hole recessed plugs. And the resistance value for you plug lead is Bosch 1k ohms and bremi 1.8k ohms plus or minus 20%, so 2.0 is acceptable.

Th

Bill R.
01-11-2008, 11:59 AM
with iridiums from NGK that i've been getting for around 5.70 for most cars.

Bill R.
01-11-2008, 12:02 PM
the 3 series in 2005 (http://www.ngk.de/NGK_CREATES_NEW_IRIDIUM_SPARK.2710.0.html)

Ferret
01-11-2008, 12:08 PM
normal on all deep hole recessed plugs. And the resistance value for you plug lead is Bosch 1k ohms and bremi 1.8k ohms plus or minus 20%, so 2.0 is acceptable.

BROD is normal after one week, with repeated heavy misfires?

Bill R.
01-11-2008, 12:22 PM
question regarding misfires by replaces the plug lead. The ring had nothing to do with the misfires.

BROD is normal after one week, with repeated heavy misfires?

Jon K
01-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Ferret those plugs show a car that runs rich at idle with potential oil issues

The BKRxE plugs are single ground and electrode

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Turbo%20Build/gotplugs.jpg

Don't use BKR7E, use BKR6E - I use one-step colder plugs

Tiger
01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
That's great Bill... what is the model you use on the M60 engine? NGK doesn't list it for the M60 engine.

Bill R.
01-11-2008, 08:17 PM
For the m60 you have to use the denso iridium IK20 which is available on ebay for around 6.50 usually...

That's great Bill... what is the model you use on the M60 engine? NGK doesn't list it for the M60 engine.

Ferret
01-12-2008, 04:58 AM

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Turbo%20Build/gotplugs.jpg

Hrr, well I've pulled a couple of the new plugs this morning after a weeks running and they're spotless Jon... I think it was misfiring causing it to default into open loop running... you could hear it doing it.

500rpm purrr... miss-miss-miss-roar... 8-900rpm rich idle

I'm going to keep a sharp eye on this one as I dont think the block was ever changed on this car...

Tiger
01-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Don't worry about the block. Mine is still nikasil and after 8 years of ownership... nothing changed.

Paul in NZ
01-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Don't worry about the block. Mine is still nikasil and after 8 years of ownership... nothing changed.
you changed the spark plugs but only once.;)

Morgenster
01-13-2008, 11:11 AM

I've been using the BKR6E for a year now and they perform better than the dual electrodes I had before.
I'm considering denso iridium but I think the leads should go first. Only problem is I have one bremi coil. the rest is Bosch so not sure if I can change the leads on those.

Jon K
01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
I've been using the BKR6E for a year now and they perform better than the dual electrodes I had before.
I'm considering denso iridium but I think the leads should go first. Only problem is I have one bremi coil. the rest is Bosch so not sure if I can change the leads on those.

Do not waste your time or money - replace your coil if you wish but do not swap to iridium

Morgenster
01-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Do not waste your time or money - replace your coil if you wish but do not swap to iridium

I was thinking of just swapping the leads, not the coils. Would swapping the leads be pointless?

Bill R.
01-13-2008, 12:03 PM
coils bmw recomends that you only use one type of coil. don't mix and match.
I't try to get another bosch since all the rest are. And the same thing with the leads , Use bremi with bremi and bosch with bosch etc. With the prices of iridium being as cheap as they are i wholeheartedly recommend them as replacements for everything i work on now. In the last 6 months i've probably installed 100 sets of them or more and they work flawlessly and are reasonably priced is you hunt around.

I was thinking of just swapping the leads, not the coils. Would swapping the leads be pointless?